Analysis Services Install on Seperate Box

• Working with techs from Crystal Reporting software which uses AS to build OLAP cubes and they are recommending that MS Analysis Services be installed on a server box seperate from base MS SQL Server product. MS says this requires 2 licenses (i.e. you cannot split locations of SQL Server database from Analysis Services with one license). Has someone split the components of SQL Server like this ? Has someone gotten the okay from MS to do this with a single license ?

Thanks

• If MS states it requires 2 license then you will not find anyone who got permission. They are very strict about their eula's and do not stray unless you perchase an extreme number of licenses anyway making it to hard to keep track of. I suggest anyone who has been told other than this make sure it was in writting and not verble as you better be able to prove it. Where I work we got hit once by MS for eula violations years ago which required us to make some purchasing changes to correct.

"Don't roll your eyes at me. I will tape them in place." (Teacher on Boston Public)

• I'd be interested to know how MS handles AS installed on a multiprocessor machine. Do they require additional licenses per processor for AS as they do SQL Server?

Thanks...

• I would think if you installed SQL 2000 with more than one processor that you have license for that and since AS is part of SQL 2000 you have the same number of licenses for that box (but you could not seperate them to another box saying you are using only one processor for AS as it is part of SQL itself in their documentation).

"Don't roll your eyes at me. I will tape them in place." (Teacher on Boston Public)

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply