Analysis Services Dimension Processing

• Hi

I have a very large dimension ( 18 M records) that needs processing.

Currently the time taken to process the dimension is around 5 hours. I need to bring this down to 3 hours max .

I am using the process update property and the cube is partioned. The dimension has 2 string attributes. I have read about the limits imposed by the string attribute on the dimension (4GB). but cant seem to find a suitable workaround. also the ASSTORE files are not exceeding the 4 gb limit , Frankly I am at a loss to try and explain this.

Have installed the latest services packs as well.

any advice on this would be a great help 🙂

Jayanth Kurup[/url]

• I'd perfmon the server to look for a bottleneck, e.g. disk, cpu, memory. Don't have anything that size to compare or any other suggestion other than to find out what's getting hammered. Are you on 32 or 64 bit platform

[font="Comic Sans MS"]The GrumpyOldDBA[/font]
    www.grumpyolddba.co.uk
    http://sqlblogcasts.com/blogs/grumpyolddba/

• we are running a 32 bit installtion, in touch with msft to find out what could be the root cause but any suggestions would be really helpful.

Jayanth Kurup[/url]

• It is worth checking the design of the dimension. Does it have any user defined hierarchy? For 18 M records with just 2 attributes, it should not take this long.

What is the datatype of the Key attribute?

(I have a dim with 2 M records and takes only 10 min for processing)

-Arun

• The error I am getting is ( File system error: The record ID is incorrect. Physical file: )

I am trying to process the dimensions Using a Data flow task and I read that doing a process full on the dimension should fix the issue .

but Process full just keeps running and i suspect its hanging.

The key has a data type int , but like i mentioned there are also varchar attributes present in the same dimension.

Jayanth Kurup[/url]

• Its better to check the usual stuff: Disk access counters by msmdrv using Perfmon - this may give you some idea. Also, make sure AV real-time protection is turned of for this disc

• Here's what I do....it works for most.

1) Drop the entire Database from Management Studio.

2) Re-Deploy and Process from your solution.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply