Analysis Services database cube hanging

• Hi,

I am new to SQL Server and Analysis Services and one of the OLAP database just hangs when we try and do anything.  Is there any way to check for corruption or are there any utilities that we can use to see if there is something corrupt in that database?

Thanks,

Bea

Thanks!
    Bea Isabelle

• Unfortunately, not really.  One thing to check is that you have applied at leats SP3 to the Analysis Services install (installing it to your SQL instance would be a good idea also).

If you cn elaborate more on what you are trying to do?  ie trying to edit the cube; trying to process the cube' trying to access the cube via Excel etc.

Cheers,

Steve.

• try to install SP3, it may be will work or try to reprocess the cube.

• Hi,

I have already applied SP4 to our Analysis Services and SQL Server.  Our analyst was just trying to access the cube and it would just hang.  We see an error in the event log of the application hanging and in a hung state.  We are looking at the server to see if something is going on there.  I was just wondering was options were available to try and troubleshoot Analysis Service.

Thanks for your thoughts!

Bea Isabelle

Thanks!
    Bea Isabelle

• Have you applied the same SP (for PTS) to each of your client machines?  Normally connecting with a lower SP client would result in errors on the client end not the server, but you never know.  In case you're looking for it, there should be a PTS(full?) and PTSLite on the same CD/installer that you used for your SP to AS.

There are some limited Performance Monitor items you can look at but this is unlikely to tell you much, other than connection counts, cache hits etc etc.  From memory there is a registyr setting that will let you increase the verbosity of the trace/logging, I would suggets going to the document that outlines the registry settings and mod this setting.  If you do a search on msft for keywords including 'analysis services registry settings' it should pop up pretty quickly.

Steve.

• When you say "it's Hung" does it mean that you are not able to acess from anywhere or just from client tool.  if you are unable to access it from anywhere, try restarting the service or check if the service is down.

paul

• Good Morning,

It was actually hung and we were trying to access it from the server it was actaully running on, not the client tool.  I checked and the OLAP service was running.  Our sysadmin noticed some errors on the disk, so she ran a checkdisk and rebooted the server.  That freed up the application and they are testing to see if it's all working properly now.  So it could have just been a hardware issue.

Thanks!

Bea

Thanks!
    Bea Isabelle

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply