Analysis Server Registration Problem

• I have a SQL 2000 with Analysis server installed on it . When i try to register the server remotely i.e from another server it gives me an error that

'Cannot connect to the repository .

Analysis Server : <Server_name>

Error : Cannot open database requested in Login '<Database_name > Login fails . Do you wish to register this server ? '

I then migrated the repository to SQL Server and made sure that i am a member of the local Administrator and OLAP Admin groups. After migrating the repository to Meta SQL Server, I now get a new message that says "Path not found" when I try to register the server. Any ideas/help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

• Did you get any answers to you question? I'm just getting off the ground with OLAP services and ran into a similar problem. Whether trying to connect to a server on our network or my home PC, when trying to connect to an Analysis Services I get the following message:

"Unable to connect to the registry on the server (Charlie), or you are not a member of the OLAP Administrators group on this server."

Are we supposed to create that group, because it doesn't exist as part of the default install?

Thanks in advance

> Nick Duckstein

• Hi -

The OLAP Administrators group is created automatically during installation of Analyis Services and the current user (installing user) is added to this group.

In order to launch Analysis Manager your user must be a member of this group.

Many times, connectivity problems are associated with the AS repository which is an Access db by default. If you're using SQL Server you can migrate the repository to SQL Server (connect then right click on the server in Analysis Manager, choose Migrate Repository...).

Another thought: make sure your service packs are in sync on the server and client machines.

Hope this helps.

Scot J Reagin

sreagin@aspirity.com

Scot J Reagin
    sreagin@hitachiconsulting.com

• I figured out the OLAP Adminstrators thing on our Servers running Windows 2000. However, I'm also trying to mess around with this on my home PC running XP Home. I haven't found a way to great groups in XP and thus can't add myself to the OLAP Adminstrators group.

Nick

> Nick Duckstein

• I don't mean to sound cynical, but I would get rid of XP Home and install XP Pro...

Michael

Michael Weiss

Michael Weiss

• I'm with Michael on this one. It might be possible to work around XP Home limitations (and it should work as a client) but, if you want to administer Analysis Services, XP Pro is the way to go.

Scot J Reagin

sreagin@aspirity.com

Scot J Reagin
    sreagin@hitachiconsulting.com

• XP Home is on it's way out 🙂

> Nick Duckstein

• Apply same service packs both on the server and client accessing machine.

Ramesh

Ramesh

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply