An Impressive SQL Server

• I'll see your Homeland Security, and raise you a NASA, NSA, CIA, FBI, and ATO (Australian Tax Office) ๐Ÿ˜€

• Yahoo, The Library of Congress and the DVLA would be some biggies.

http://www.boffindia.com/2011/02/top-10-largest-databases-in-world-some.html

• Schodoodles (5/6/2011)

SQL Server is already used by F1 teams (McLaren mainly but now all it seems) for live data recording and processing on the fly. Sure I saw an article or advert trying to hide as one regarding the use of it already - a quick web search finds that Microsoft has this as one of their case studies... maybe I'm one of the last to just read up on this properly!

http://www.microsoft.com/casestudies/Case_Study_Detail.aspx?CaseStudyID=4000001476

Wish I was the DBA that needed to be track side....

From an F1 fan: Thank-you for this case study.

Thanks & Regards,
    Nakul Vachhrajani.
    http://nakulvachhrajani.com

Follow me on
    Twitter: @sqltwins

• Really critical systems: Air Traffic Control System, NORAD.

• If Google uses SQL Server for their search engin, it will impress me.

• Back in 2006, the London Stock Exchangeโ€™s Infolect data delivery application was using SQL 2000. I'm not sure if that is still the case, or if they upgraded, or switched platforms.

http://www.hp.com/hpinfo/newsroom/press/2006/060712xa.html

Steve

• Ive read and heard about companies that have extrememly high volumes based on certain events/holidays. The big one that comes to mind is FTD, they have been on the web in articles numerous times trying to find the right combination of platform and hardware to keep up with the demand. The telephone company in Spain was a good example of this. One question that has always lingered in my mind though and Ive experienced this to some level first hand. Can a database platform be scalable on a level known only to a few "gods" out there and still be secure more than the rest?

• I agree with those folks who are talking about the big companies and I agree if Google ran their search engine that would be very impressive. What would impress me more is a large banking/credit company such as Discover or Visa/Master card using SQL server to handle all the daily processing of their transactions from millions of Point of Sales systems across the world. Then turning around to use SQL Server to handle their analysis and reporting.

• DARPA. Because they're DARPA.

---------------------------------------------------------
    How best to post your question[/url]
    How to post performance problems[/url]
    Tally Table:What it is and how it replaces a loop[/url]

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."

• I am going to lower the bar a bit here. After a brief brush with Oracle...I'm impressed that I use it ๐Ÿ™‚

• G-SQL (5/6/2011)

I am going to lower the bar a bit here. After a brief brush with Oracle...I'm impressed that I use it ๐Ÿ™‚

Just dont try to use it as a linked server in SQL 2008 and expect that it will work with out fail. That is, without resorting to the ugly "Select * From OpenQuery" preceeding it.

• I know Facebook adopts the BASE (as opposed to ACID) database philosophy for scalability reasons, due to the sheer volume of user interaction they need to store every day. If they could be convinved to use SQL Server as an ACID database, that would be very very impressive.

• As a former database developer for UPS, I can defintely state that UPS does use SQL Server to process its packages. While the main package database is centrally housed in oue of the world's largest DB2 installations, individual sortation for delivery on the local warehouse level is handled by co-located servers running SQL.

If you browse through their press releases of the past several years, anything touted as "Package Flow Technology" is back-ended by SQL Server.

• I read a note about a 1.1PB database, built on SQL Server to hold data from telescopes. That particular data warehouse is producing 1.4TB a day. I know it's mostly binary data, but that's a lot of 1s and 0s being stored in SQL Server.

But is that 1.1 PB of data really stored "in" the SQL Server database, or is that just the total scope of data that could theoretically be accessed by SQL Server?

Is the binary data stored as BLOBs inside the MDF file, FileStream data external to the database but still managed by SQL Server, or is the binary data stored in huge network files with only meta data and network path links contained in the SQL Server database?

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

• What I would find impressive are case studies about state or even federal government agencies, like the IRS or the California Department Of Motor Vehicles, using SQL Server as their primary transactional or operational data store. Not only do they manage a tremendous amount of data, but every record is operational and subject to close scrutiny at any moment. If you drop just one motor vehicle registration or tax record, someone is eventually going to notice, and they are going to care... and care a lot.

Companies like Google or FaceBook manage a lot of data, but it's not held the same degree of scrutiny. For example, if FaceBook dropped 1 out of 1,000 random guestbook posts, would anyone notice? At the end of the day would they even care enough for it to make national headline news?

If you did a Google search on "3d modeling software", and the search engine truncated the first 10 listings, would you even know? Search engine results are dynamic based on things your geo location and previous searches, so you don't know you're missing something that you're weren't expecting in the first palce, unless you're an engineer and scientifically testing the system, looking for a specific set of results in response to a specific set of input parameters.

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 66 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply