Amount rounding - What did I do wrong?

• I have this code:

IsNull(c.BeginBal,0) + IsNull(d.NetActivity,0) As [Begin_Bal]

It seems simple enough. Both are coming from Temp Tables with real as the data type.

I've tried:

IsNull(c.BeginBal,0) + IsNull(d.NetActivity,0) As [Begin_Bal]

IsNull(c.BeginBal,0.00) + IsNull(d.NetActivity,0.00) As [Begin_Bal]

Cast(IsNull(c.BeginBal,0.00) + IsNull(d.NetActivity,0.00) As real) As [Begin_Bal]

Cast(IsNull(c.BeginBal,0.00) As real) + Cast(IsNull(d.NetActivity,0.00) As real) As [Begin_Bal]

But no matter what it comes out as:

BeginBal = 1676559.81

NetActivity = Null

Sum = 1676560

Why is it rounding? Yes I tried having them in separate columns too, so I can see the amounts.

Any help would certainly be appreciated. I'm sure I'm doing something foolish.

• assuming both datatypes ARE real, cast the hard-coded values in the isnulls to the same datatpye - not the result of the isnull.

Best,
    Kevin G. Boles
    SQL Server Consultant
    SQL MVP 2007-2012
    TheSQLGuru on googles mail service

• TheSQLGuru (8/18/2015)

assuming both datatypes ARE real, cast the hard-coded values in the isnulls to the same datatpye - not the result of the isnull.

I'm not sure what you mean? Something like this?

Cast(c.BeginBal As real) + Cast(d.NetActivity as real) As [Begin_Bal]

This just throws a Null since NetActivity is null.

• I found it....

The values are not real they are numeric(9,2). I'm still not sure why they were rounding but at least this fixes it.

• Ken at work (8/18/2015)

TheSQLGuru (8/18/2015)

assuming both datatypes ARE real, cast the hard-coded values in the isnulls to the same datatpye - not the result of the isnull.

IsNull(c.BeginBal,cast(0 as correctdatatype)) + IsNull(d.NetActivity,cast(0 as correctdatatyp)) As [Begin_Bal]

Best,
    Kevin G. Boles
    SQL Server Consultant
    SQL MVP 2007-2012

• TheSQLGuru (8/18/2015)

IsNull(c.BeginBal,cast(0 as correctdatatype)) + IsNull(d.NetActivity,cast(0 as correctdatatyp)) As [Begin_Bal]

Or -

Declare @DecimalZero decimal (9,2)

SET @DecimalZero = 0

SELECT IsNull(c.BeginBal, @DecimalZero) + IsNull(d.NetActivity, @DecimalZero) As [Begin_Bal]

• Wow great ideas. I've never thought of that.

Thank you,

• IMPLICIT CONVERSIONS can be a REAL shock and PAIN-CAUSER in SQL Server. The alternative is getting the wrong answer with no warning or error (which is by FAR the worse thing that can happen in any data processing), so I suppose they are a necessary evil! 🙂

Best,
    Kevin G. Boles
    SQL Server Consultant
    SQL MVP 2007-2012

• TheSQLGuru (8/18/2015)

Ken at work (8/18/2015)

TheSQLGuru (8/18/2015)

This is nonsense. ISNULL function will use the datatype of the first value. So casting the second value will be redundant and might cause additional conversions when the data type is different from the first value. It would make sense for values that might need format codes for conversion.

Note that this behavior is different in COALESCE, which uses data type precedence rules to choose the data type.

The main problem was that you were using real which is an approximate numeric data type instead of decimal which is an exact numeric data type.

Luis C.
    General Disclaimer:
    Are you seriously taking the advice and code from someone from the internet without testing it? Do you at least understand it? Or can it easily kill your server?

How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help: Option 1 / Option 2
  • Ken at work (8/18/2015)

I found it....

The values are not real they are numeric(9,2). I'm still not sure why they were rounding but at least this fixes it.

I still don't know how BeginBal = 1676559.81 became Sum = 1676560 with numeric(9,2) data types. It should have still been 1676559.81 with the conversion that Louis (and BOL) says should happen automatically...

Best,
    Kevin G. Boles
    SQL Server Consultant
    SQL MVP 2007-2012

• Yes, if they were both numeric(9,2) then there should not have been any rounding. If either value were real instead of numeric(9,2), then the result would make sense, because the precision of real is only 7 digits.

To wit:

DECLARE @firstNumeric NUMERIC(9,2)=1676559.81

DECLARE @secondNumeric NUMERIC(9,2)

DECLARE @real REAL

SELECT ISNULL(@firstNumeric,0)+ISNULL(@secondNumeric,0)

SELECT ISNULL(@firstNumeric,0)+ISNULL(@REAL,0)

Are you absolutely certain both values were numeric(9,2)?

Cheers!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply