AlwaysOn listener port numbers and multiple listeners

• During an upgrade/migration to new server, I've discovered that the port numbers for the listeners of 4 instances on the old server are all using the same default port 1433.  Is this ok? We've never had any problem. I know that the instances should be on different ports (they are) but not clear about the listener ports.  Wondering if I need to change the config for the new cluster or keep everything the same. 

thanks for any advice

• If you're talking about Availability Groups then all AG Listeners for all SQL Server instances can be on port 1433 as long as ONLY the listeners are using port 1433.  

"Selecting an Availability Group Listener Port" section on the following site covers this:
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/database-engine/availability-groups/windows/listeners-client-connectivity-application-failover 

If there are multiple SQL Server instances being used, then you need to make sure that only the listeners are using port 1433.  The SQL Server instances will need to be set to use a different port.  (In the case of only 1 instance on the server then both the instance and Listener can use port 1433).

-Dan

• so it seems we are configured correctly. thanks for the confirmation!

• JarJar - Tuesday, June 20, 2017 7:54 AM

During an upgrade/migration to new server, I've discovered that the port numbers for the listeners of 4 instances on the old server are all using the same default port 1433.  Is this ok? We've never had any problem. I know that the instances should be on different ports (they are) but not clear about the listener ports.  Wondering if I need to change the config for the new cluster or keep everything the same. 

thanks for any advice

Its the combination of the TCP IP Address and the TCP port number that are unique so multiple listeners can use same port

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply