AlwaysOn Groups - Take offline when connectivity issues

• Hi,

We have 2 SQL 2012 instances in an AAG configuration, with synchronous replication.

If we have connectivity issues, the secondary replica reports as disconnected but the primary remains active.

To guarantee that the 2 replicas are in sync at all times, in this scenario, we would like the primary replica to also go offline (RESOLVING state?)

Is it possible to configure this to happen?

• why on earth would you want that scenario?

Firstly check why you have the disconnections, you undoubtedly have an underlying issue maybe with the network (most common)?

What does a cluster validation report show?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

• Hi Perry

Thanks for replying

We don't actually have an issue with networks or connectivity.

The situation I'm describing is where something catastrophic has happened in our WAN infrastructure. Our primary data center is still running but nothing can connect to it.

Our customer decides that he would like to invoke disaster recovery and activate standby databases. This requires that failover is forced on the secondary and is the point where the AAG failover wizard would warn that there may be data loss.

We would like to guarantee that the primary database does not have any changes which the secondary database has no record of thereby guaranteeing that both databases are in sync, no matter what.

What I am asking for would be equivalent of MAXIMUM PROTECTION mode in Oracle DataGuard.

I hope i have explained myself a little more clearly

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply