AlwaysOn and Increasing Page file usage

• we have a 3 node cluster running SQL 2012 AlwaysOn (SP2) and the primary node has an ever-increasing page file usage (see pic attached). We have the same pattern on our QA servers, running SP3. Has anyone encountered this? Is it a problem when it hits 100%?

thanks in advance

• 1) There are a LOT of bugs related to Always On. Have you searched post SP3 CUs for any related to this issue?

2) What are is you hardware config, VM config (if applicable), and SQL Server settings relevant to memory?

Best,
    Kevin G. Boles
    SQL Server Consultant
    SQL MVP 2007-2012
    TheSQLGuru on googles mail service

• TheSQLGuru (3/1/2016)

1) There are a LOT of bugs related to Always On. Have you searched post SP3 CUs for any related to this issue?

2) What are is you hardware config, VM config (if applicable), and SQL Server settings relevant to memory?

thanks for the reply, Kevin.

1) not yet, I was fishing for any obvious answers. I'll check this point next.

2) We're running VMs (VMWare), 64GB RAM, 8 vCPU, two instances (both AlwaysOn), 1st instance 28GB fixed, 2nd instance 26GB fixed. No memory pressure (60GB of 64GB used, BCHR and PLE perf very good on both instances), CPU load not heavy 17% average, 55% peaks).

• I would take a quick look at dbcc memorystatus. Semi-documented online. Doubt it will show anything.

With low memory utilization I take it you aren't seeing actual use of the page file - just a large one?

How is the VM config looking? I have seen some HORRIBLE things at clients!! Reservations are good, over-subscription/ballooning suboptimal. 🙂

Best,
    Kevin G. Boles
    SQL Server Consultant
    SQL MVP 2007-2012
    TheSQLGuru on googles mail service

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply