Always On Recovery Models

• It is my understanding that in order to use Availability Groups then each database to be included must be configured as full recovery model. The environment I'm dealing with has always used simple recovery mainly because there isn't a need for point-in-time recovery. Is there a way around having to take log backups while using full recovery or a way to make simple recovery work with AG?

• No, I think Full recovery mode is mandatory - it says here.  Dealing with transaction log backups isn't too much extra admin, although I suppose you will need a little extra disk space (unless you back up to a null device, which I don't recommend).

John

• I could easily set up a job to run every 15 minutes or so. I was more curious to see if there are any known workarounds since we aren't concerned with using the transaction logs.

• RonMexico wrote:

It is my understanding that in order to use Availability Groups then each database to be included must be configured as full recovery model. The environment I'm dealing with has always used simple recovery mainly because there isn't a need for point-in-time recovery. Is there a way around having to take log backups while using full recovery or a way to make simple recovery work with AG?

From your post, looks like data loss is acceptable, then configure t-log every 5 minutes and delete it based on the free space .

Muthukkumaran Kaliyamoorthy
    https://www.sqlserverblogforum.com/

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply