Always on Multi subnet : RPC issue

• Good afternoon,

I'm currently trying to set up Always on 2012 between 2 different data-center's using of course 2 different subnets, i have few questions;

Situation: we got 3 servers under Win 2012 R2, 2 server in Site A and 1 in Site B

got those FW port open between Site A and Site B:

22-SCP

139, 445-ShareFolder

5985-5986 -WinRM

135-RCP

3343-Cluster Driver

5000-5099-cluster services

8011-8031-RPC connectivity

49154-win

(maybe some are not needed and hopefully nothing is missing)

1) Is someone have a link for a tutorial step by step for this ?

2) Should you create

a) 2 different cluster, then connect them later somehow :), what is the somehow ?

b) create a cluster 3 nodes, which i tried but got this error: The RPC server is unavailable. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x800706BA).

Further questions may come later but it will be a different topic.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Michael

• The definitive tutorial by Perry Whittle (Staircase to Always On[/url]).

What we did. Create a 4 node cluster with 2 nodes in data center A and 2 nodes in data center B. DC A nodes are NOT set up to fail over to DC B and vice versa. Auto-failover only occurs in the same DC. Manual failover will have to happen to flip to the other DC.

Need 2 IPs per group, one for each different subnet. You only have to set this up once when setting up the AGs. It'll populate to the other AGs.

Make sure DTC is enabled on your server!!! It does not need to be a clustered resource. It just has to be enabled on the servers themselves. DCOM has it hiding somewhere (I don't remember where off the top of my head).

Not sure how to answer your error question.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Thanks.

The stairway does't seem to talk about multisubnet 🙂

Well we have a strange network setup, I currently work in Tokyo and they not that flexible ...

• Jonathan Kehayias has a good article on setting up multi-subnets as well as the routing between the subnets for AGs and Clustering. Not sure if it helps with whatever all is odd with your network setup but its worth a look:

https://www.sqlskills.com/blogs/jonathan/configuring-a-multi-subnet-sql-server-test-environment/

Sue

• Thanks, thought I am more looking for what to do after this. 🙂

I need to POC Always On Multi subnet in our configuration (network included) and no on my PC.

But thanks again 🙂

• mikaeru (8/1/2016)

Thanks.

The stairway does't seem to talk about multisubnet 🙂

Well we have a strange network setup, I currently work in Tokyo and they not that flexible ...

Did you read my comment all the way through?

My environment is using multiple subnets. I used the Stairway article, then read through the comments, asked questions specific to my situation, and got answers from Perry.

Read the article comments. If they still don't help you, then tell us exactly what you're looking for that you're not finding.

EDIT: I just realized you said you're using clustered storage. We had to create direct attached storage and standalone instances on our Windows clustered servers for the groups. You can't effectively use SQL Failover clustered instances (well, there's a way, but it's more complicated than it needs to be) for this.

So you may need to go back to the drawing board for this.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• mikaeru (8/1/2016)

Good afternoon,

I'm currently trying to set up Always on 2012 between 2 different data-center's using of course 2 different subnets, i have few questions;

Situation: we got 3 servers under Win 2012 R2, 2 server in Site A and 1 in Site B

got those FW port open between Site A and Site B:

22-SCP

139, 445-ShareFolder

5985-5986 -WinRM

135-RCP

3343-Cluster Driver

5000-5099-cluster services

8011-8031-RPC connectivity

49154-win

(maybe some are not needed and hopefully nothing is missing)

1) Is someone have a link for a tutorial step by step for this ?

2) Should you create

a) 2 different cluster, then connect them later somehow :), what is the somehow ?

b) create a cluster 3 nodes, which i tried but got this error: The RPC server is unavailable. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x800706BA).

Further questions may come later but it will be a different topic.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Michael

At first glance you're missing the DNS port, Brandie has already linked my stairway article I highly suggest you give it a look

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

• Interesting as that is exactly what is being done in that article so not sure how it wouldn't apply. The error seems to indicate the subnets aren't talking to each other yet. The network configurations are pretty much detailed in both article links you have been given (as well as the other related pieces). There are network configurations to be done for multisubnet. It either gets done or it won't work.

Sue

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply