always on migration

• Currently inherited the following

SQL Server 2008r2 active passive cluster running on windows 2008

Does log shipping to two other sql server 2008r2 on windows 2008 by log shipping one for

reporting one for DR passive no connection, all servers Enterpise edition.

It has one sql license for the active/passive cluster and one for the reporting server

My plan was to upgrade the SQL 2008 R2 active passive cluster to 2012 and implement

Always On. kill log shipping and utilize always on for reporting server and DR server.

We have SA on SQL Licenses so i do noth think I need to purchase anything.

So the question is is this a realistic plan? don't have resources to build whole new world

have to do with what I have. if this is a doable plan is it a requirement for the reporting node and the dr

node to have the exact same server and drive configuration?

• I am not sure SQL server 2012 will like being on Windows 2008, but it is supported. Some features may not be available to you without SQL 2012, but since you probably are not using those now, it may not affect you. You will need to upgrade your Windows versions to Windows 2008 SP2 at a minimum.

Otherwise, it si doable. This will involve some downtime, especially for your reporting replica, which will be at least a stale replica, until you can get SQL 2012 installed, the primary database upgraded, and a new backup copied to the secondary server. Once all servers are at the same (SQL Server) level, you can re-establish the log shipping.

Any chance you can evict the passive node, and rebuild it as a new Windows 2012 cluster? This will take much more downtime on the primary, but it may be better in the long run.

• Not really sure what you are asking here bud. Please try to clean up your post as it's difficult to understand. Active/Active IMHO is always better than log shipping. Other than that, I am not sure what your question is.

Sorry I couldn't assist better.

SQL-TG

Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth. --Mike Tyson

• to clarify

Currently setup

One SQL Server 2008r2 active passive cluster running on windows 2008r2

This cluster also does log shipping to two other sql server 2008r2 on windows 2008

One of these is for reporting one for DR passive

It has one sql license for the active/passive cluster and one sql license for the reporting server

My plan was to upgrade the SQL 2008 R2 active passive cluster to 2012 and implement

Always On. Replace log shipping communication to reporting server and DR with always on

• SQLTougherGuy (6/17/2014)

Not really sure what you are asking here bud. Please try to clean up your post as it's difficult to understand. Active/Active IMHO is always better than log shipping. Other than that, I am not sure what your question is.

Sorry I couldn't assist better.

SQL-TG

Using log shipping just as a 'passive' node with no queries or activity shouldn't require a second license, which sounds like the OP's setup. If he went to Active/Active with SQL 2012 Enterprise he'd need to license the cores in both servers which only MS can say for sure would be in compliance since they might need to do a conversion from the SQL 2008 to 2012 licenses and SQL 2012 and 2014 is now licensed per core.

Also I agree with not running SQL 2012 on Win 2008. We tried this in our Dev environment, and it was not pretty, especially if you run both SQL 2008 and 2012 concurrently on the same box.

To the OP, my suggestion is talk to Microsoft and see what the Software Assurance licenses will convert to with SQL 2012 and go from there. I think they can do a conversion to Per Core for SQL 2012/2014, but MS is the only one who can say for sure. If money weren't an obstacle I'd say do AlwaysOn but build new Windows 2012 servers for your SQL 2012 instances. Trust me, they'll be MUCH happier.

• goal is to go to always on and dump log shipping. Money is kind of an issue, i will get one new box out of this. Really need to find if feasible to upgrade current win 2008/sql 2008 r2 cluster in place to win 2012/sql2012 cluster and then add AG. Can't ask for whole new servers in this environment

• If money is an issue, you will likely get much more of a problem from having to buy Enterprise Edition licenses with Software Assurance, than from new hardware. You could probably replace all of the boxes in this setup for less than half the cost of the SQL licenses.

• Have all the license and we have SA for upgrade so that part we are OK on

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply