Always on AG group

• One of our DR server went down over the weekend with blue screen and cause the synchronization to fail. The DB monitoring system crashed cause no notification sent. I found the DR server issue after 2 days. I agree lot of things need to be straightened out, why windows team did not notify us and then why I didn't get the notification when my DB monitoring system crashed. I am working on those things to get fixed.

However, I am trying to clarify once the server came backup and the synchronization state change to synchronizing mode and everything seems to be working as normal. My understanding is because of the log backups are available on the disk? Please advise if I am missing anything here?

• I think you are asking why the secondary server was able to receive the data it missed during the downtime?

The process is explained here https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/database-engine/availability-groups/windows/availability-modes-always-on-availability-groups?view=sql-server-ver15. In particular the section "How Synchronization Works on a Secondary Replica"

Does that help?

• This reply was modified 3 years, 4 months ago by  as_1234. Reason: Corrected 'second' to secondary'

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply