Always On

• We had log backup issue due to the space filled up on the backup drive, and that caused the database to be in suspended state on the secondary replica due to not enough space on the disk . I could not able shrink the database on primary due to suspended state on the secondary replica after we got space back on the backup drive. So I have to remove the db from Availability group so I could able to shrink the DB and then add the database back to AG group. Is that normal behavior? Can it be recovered differently?

• Well, defining stuff like this as "normal" is probably not the best way to describe it. However, is something like this expected? Yeah.

One of the hardest things is recovery from problematic states. Filling up drives, huge problematic state. Making the tempdb full, even worse. This is why it's extremely vital that we: a) have very good, proactive, monitoring in place to know when we might be in danger of something like this and b) make darned sure we understand our systems well enough, again, monitoring, so that we can put some reasonable head room on drives, especially where the tempdb lives.

This stuff isn't easy, ever. Not having monitoring in place to actively prevent these situations, makes it all even harder.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply