Always on

• Planing to go with SQL Server 2017/2019 for Biztalk latest version of 2019/2020. So i would like to go with Always as DR option. Do you guys have seen any issues setting up always on for Biztalk DB server ? If yes, what are the issues have you seen for setting up always on with Biztalk. Please advise?

Thanks in advance!

• Thanks for posting your issue and hopefully someone will answer soon.

This is an automated bump to increase visibility of your question.

• First things first: check the Biztalk pre-reqs.

• I don't know how much has changed with the version you are going with but you can find information on BizTalk 2016 and Always On using SQL Server 2016. From what I read, it isn't pretty, is quite complex and there are lots of prereqs as Beatrix mentioned. I have seen several recommendations to not go with Always On but that was with 2016 versions. I'd start reading up on the articles on the 2016 versions to get an understanding of the issues. BizTalk is pretty cool and good for what it's intended for but it can be a maintenance headache. From having supported it before (just BizTalk, no always on), I'd personally be cautious going down that path.

Sue

• Hi,

Kindly get the exact requirement from Biztalk team (because BizTalk Server uses Log Shipping for DR ) and as i have seen couple of issues w.r.t to unplanned failover due to some XYZ reason.

Kindly go through the below article for reference.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/biztalk/core/high-availability-using-sql-server-always-on-availability-groups

Thanks in advance!!

SQL server DBA

• Thanks to everyone. So my understanding is that prior to SQL 2016 the BizTalk uses SQL Server Fail over Clustering and Log Shipping to provide high availability.

But from SQL 2016 on wards, the always on would provide the high availability right? Let me know if I am in not in the same page. How about third party DR solutions would that be supported? Sorry if this question is away from this discussion?

• BizTalk still uses Failover Clustering and Log Shipping to provide high availability - that's stated in the most recent documentation. They just starting supporting Always On with 2016. Doesn't mean that's the way to go or that it replaces anything, just that this is now supported. I haven't used any third party products for BizTalk DR. Keep in mind that High Availability and Disaster Recovery are two different things and the directions for each could be different. Make sure you define for yourself what it is the business really needs, especially when you are looking at architecture for BizTalk.

Sue

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply