Altering procedures while being executed

• Hi gurus

have a question:

what happens if we alter a procedure when it is being executed?

I used the below process to test :

create proc timedelay

as

print 'start of run'

waitfor delay '000:00:20'

print 'end of run'

exec timedelay

alter proc timedelay

as

print 'start of run'

waitfor delay '000:00:30'

print 'altered'

print 'end of run'

--exec timedelay

I found that the proc executed the first version even when i have altered the proc.

Is it because the proc query plan was already put in the cache?

Would like to know the details.

• If you alter a proc while it's running, the currently executing one uses the original definition, any new execution uses the new.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Is there any documenation that explains current process continues to use the old procedure and new processes will use the new code?

I've searched for over an hour and this is the only post/documentation I've found.

Management wants the documentation reference before running an alter procedure (hot fix) in production.

• I couldn't find any documentation either, but they need to understand how a stored procedures and queries work. When you execute a stored procedure a lot of stuff happens, but basically it will create an execution plan (if one doesn't already exists or it can't be reused). Once the execution plan has been created (or retrieved) that is what the engine uses from that point on. The stored procedure is done at this point until it is called again.

What happens if you are in the middle of generating a plan from the stored procedure when you apply the new version? Their is a shared schema lock placed on the stored procedure while a plan is being generated (or retrieved) that is not compatible with the schema modification lock that is needed by the alter command. So, the stored procedure won't be updated until the previous call has finished with it.

This is a very high overview of what happens, but hopefully it helps.

Microsoft Certified Master - SQL Server 2008
    Follow me on twitter: @keith_tate

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply