Alter table column - SSMS not working

• Hi,

what could be reason alter table column not working through GUID in ssms?

But query editor by using ALTER TABLE <tablename> ALTER COLUMN VARCHAR(100) - Its working.

Pl tell me, why table design proerties not working in SSMS?

Rgds

aananda

• It all depends on what you mean by "not working". Do you get a specific error message, does it time out or what?

Best guess is the change you are making is one that SSMS handles by droppping and re-creating the table, this can be time consuming anmd so that option is disabled by default.

MIke

• the error text I get is:

"Saving changes is not permitted. The changes you have made require the following tables to be dropped and re-created. You have either made changes to a table that can't be re-created or enabled the option "Prevent saving changes that require the table to be re-created"

pretty basic table, four fields - no PK's\FK's\indexes etc. The change I tried to make was to alter one field from nvarchar(10) to nvarchar(20)

This really isn't an problem for me - as the original poster stated, it works fine if you use the ALTER TABLE statement in T-SQL

but I have seen the error before and thought I would reply.

LDK

• Basic idea is that this is to stop all changes that can cause the server to hang (because they would take tones of ressources).

It's not a bad idea to keep that setting on unless you know that server reallllllllly well.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply