Alter sys_master_files

• I have stale entries exist when executing the query below:

SELECT name, physical_name

FROM sys.master_files

WHERE database_id = DB_ID('tempdb');

Physical name of multiple ndf files for TempDB are displayed but do not exist in the path provided. How do I alter sys_master_files to clean up these entries?

• You can't edit the system tables (and you shouldn't even consider it)

What do you mean by 'stale'? Has TempDB been changed since the last server restart?

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • When I execute the above query, I get the results of the physical locations of the TempDB Files (below). At some point I believe we used secondary files, and soon after moved TempDB to Windows Mount points that were mapped to LUNS on the SAN but the entries for .ndf at a location that it not physically there is still referenced in sys_master_files. If I right click the DB in SSMS and look at the physical files, it only shows the 2 files (mdf/ldf)

How do I attempt to clean this up. Is there an easy way or if I cannot easily make modifications to system databases, would a call to MS support suffice at this point.

tempdevE:\mount\CSQL09A\SystemDB\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\Data\tempdb.mdf

templogE:\mount\CSQL09A\SystemLogs\TempDB\templog.ldf

tempdev2E:\Data\tempdb_data2.ndf

tempdev3E:\Data\tempdb_data3.ndf

tempdev4E:\Data\tempdb_data4.ndf

tempdev5E:\Data\tempdb_data5.ndf

tempdev6E:\Data\tempdb_data6.ndf

tempdev7E:\Data\tempdb_data7.ndf

tempdev8E:\Data\tempdb_data8.ndf

tempdev9E:\Data\tempdb_data9.ndf

tempdev10E:\Data\tempdb_data10.ndf

• Gavin Heer (7/27/2011)

When I execute the above query, I get the results of the physical locations of the TempDB Files (below). At some point I believe we used secondary files, and soon after moved TempDB to Windows Mount points that were mapped to LUNS on the SAN but the entries for .ndf at a location that it not physically there is still referenced in sys_master_files.

Has SQL been restarted since then?

If so, try ALTER DATABASe DROP FILE and then restart SQL.

Gail Shaw
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

• Perfect, that seems to work although doesn't seem like I need to restart SQL. I just issued the TSQL command (ALTER DATABASE tempdb REMOVE FILE tempdev3) and apply up to tempdev10 and re-issue sys.master_files query and it's now removed.....Thanks guys. This forum is the best.

Regards

• Glad to hear

Gail Shaw

• GilaMonster (7/27/2011)

Glad to hear

Is there a way to close this thread now that it's been answered. I cant find these icons that the FAQ's mention?

• No, and don't worry about it.

Gail Shaw

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply