ALL-IN-ONE BOX

• I would like to set up a single server to act as the following:

-A Domain Controller for a Windows Active Directory Network

-A SQL Server 2000 Database Server

-An Analysis Services OLAP server

-An IIS 6.0 Web Server

-A Terminal Services Server that would allow users to access a couple of fat client VB applications, and crystal reports 8.5 (will also be installed on the box.)

I have been told this is a big NO NO, but have never heard any really good reasons why it can not be done. Can anyone provide some good answers. I think I can pull it off, as long as I get a really powerful server to hold all this.

Thanks!

• All good reasons not to do it would fill a fat book.

The first one would be security. Well, the first 5 chapters are security reasons.

Chapter 6 is maintenance. Web servers need all updates ASAP (see relation to firts chapters), but domain controlers should never be updated first. If a patch causes problems the last place you want it is on a DC.

Chapter 7 is horse sense: the first long running query to run on you OLAP server , or the first cube you build, will grab all ressources (ram, IO & CPU) and leave you to deal with the problems (DC acting up, SQL beeing sloooowish, IIS timing out, etc.). By definition a datawarehouse, or even a datamart, should be on its own, dedicated, server.

And I could go on, and on, and on...

But technically it is possible and you could make it work well with lot$ of hardware (multiple raids with duplexing, lot$ of ram, multiple nics, etc.)

Unless you hate yourself, don't do it

Eric

• Thanks for your reply Eric. All great points! 

I am glad to hear that it may be technically possible. because....

I want to throw all this software onto a server mainly as a sandbox to play and learn Microsoft Reporting services, VisualStudios.NET, ADSI etc. I don't have a lot of money to put down on dedicated servers and this is in no way meant to be a production-worthy system.

I think I will buy a six packs or 3, reformat my machine's hard drive this weekend and give it a shot!

cheers!

• If your machine is a great machine in hardware there is a better option:

Install Linux or Windows on the machine

Install VMWare on Linux or Windows

Create a virtual machine with host-only networking for each solution you want to test

I have a P4 2,4GHz with 2Gb of RAM and a set mirrorred harddisks and can use up to 5 different virtual machines:

1) MS SBS Server 2003 (512Mb)

2) MS Enterprise Server 2003 (256Mb) with SQL Server

3) MS Enterprise Server 2003 (192Mb) with IIS

4) MS Windows 2000 Professional (128Mb) for personal/client tools

5) MS Longhorn beta (384Mb) for testing purposes

It all performs very ok. Think about it...

• Oh sure, if this is a development 'play' server go right ahead and put everything on it - I'm sure I'm not the only developer out there whose machine is a Windows PDC, an IIS server, a SQL server, and pretty much every other kind of server! After all, when we get told to work with technology X, do they give us a nice new machine for use as a dedicated X server? Not likely...

• The virtual pc method is a good one for learning using a single PC. It allows you to reinstall operating systems without disturbing the other virtual systems you've installed.

VMWare costs a couple of hundred dollars, so if you just want to investigate whether that method will work for you, you can download a free 45-day trial of Microsoft's Virtual PC 2004 here:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=4A15008C-3E10-4C54-BCD5-ADC1E780715F&displaylang=en

The MS Virtual PC home page is here:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtualpc/default.mspx

• lakusha makes some pretty vailid points.  It is entirely possible but I would not expect much out of the server when complete as far as performance goes. 

BK

• http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtualpc/default.mspx

Believe this came out in May... runs $129.  RAM is key.  I have seen, running on XP Pro, SBS 2003 w/Exchange/SQL (as DC), with 2000 member server, and NT 4.0 member server, and 98SE (2 GB RAM on system).  All of these where running at same time, on same system.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply