Agent XPs automagically being disabled

• Thanks for the tip, Ron.  I'll try that and let you know how I get on.

John

• Magic!  Ron, you're a genius.  I ran process mon and I noticed that I had an invalid path for sqlagent.out.  I changed that in the registry and it worked.  Thanks very much!

John

• You are welcome. I am glad it saved you an un-needed re-install.

• hi f'ds,

I am also facing the same problem,unable to find out where processmon,regmon.

Could you help me plz?  Does an sql server agent stop automatically b'coz of virus pblm?

• Abcd,

I think you are asking where to find the sysinternals tools processmon, regmon. You can get them at http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/default.mspx

i have doubts that a virus would be stop SQLagent.

• For debugging, try running sqlagent from a command line instead of as a service. I think it has a -v switch that will dump all the output right to the console. Couple times this has revealed issues I couldn't find otherwise.

• I'd go with Andy at this point.  I read some where that when configuring the SQL Server services that it needs to be done through the manager.  Following is the executible from my instance of the agent.

"C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\Binn\SQLAGENT90.EXE" -i MSSQLSERVER

the -i switch says to connect to the instance.   Mine is a single default instance. 

To run the agent from the command line enter the following

sqlagent90 -c -v

I entered the above at the c:\ prompt and was told no such file name exists, so I had to go to the directory where the agents executable is stored and then it worked.

C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\Binn>sqlagent90 -c -v

Microsoft (R) SQLServerAgent 9.00.1399.06

Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation, 1995 - 1999.

2007-06-28 09:36:33 - ? [094] SQLServerAgent started from command line

2007-06-28 09:36:33 - ? [100] Microsoft SQLServerAgent version 9.00.1399.06 (x86

unicode retail build) : Process ID 1908

2007-06-28 09:36:33 - ? [101] SQL Server SLIC02 version 9.00.1399 (0 connection

limit)

2007-06-28 09:36:33 - ? [102] SQL Server ODBC driver version 9.00.1399

2007-06-28 09:36:33 - ? [103] NetLib being used by driver is DBNETLIB.DLL; Local

host server is

2007-06-28 09:36:33 - ? [310] 4 processor(s) and 3808 MB RAM detected

2007-06-28 09:36:33 - ? [339] Local computer is SLIC02 running Windows NT 5.2 (3

790) Service Pack 2

2007-06-28 09:36:33 - ? [432] There are 11 subsystems in the subsystems cache

2007-06-28 09:36:34 - ! [364] The Messenger service has not been started - NetSe

nd notifications will not be sent

2007-06-28 09:36:34 - + [260] Unable to start mail session (reason: No mail prof

ile defined)

2007-06-28 09:36:34 - + [396] An idle CPU condition has not been defined - OnIdl

e job schedules will have no effect

-v is the full blather swithch.  Good Luck.

• John,

I spent 9 hours with MS trying to solve this same problem. Their final

solution is a reinstall the instance. Talk about a sledge hammer.

Fortunately I didn't have to pay for that peice of advice.

But I did solve the problem by replaceing the SQL system and

data mdf and ldf files with a copy from a backup before the

bad thing happened. Then I resored the data bases from the

most recient backups. WaLa. It works. Enjoy.

• I had the same symptoms after moving my system databases to a new drive.

After trying to start the agent from command line, I discovered that the agent was pointing to the old SQLAGENT.OUT file and trying to remane it.

I moved this back to the old drive and it started right up.

Now I just need to figure out how to move the LOG directory

• I met the one case related to Agent XPs. It might be one of the reasons.

I used to have SQL server 2005 standard Edition 32bit which was started as local system account. In order to implement log shipping, I need to change start service account from local system to Domain account. Domain account is good enough for starting SQL service because it is already used as start service account for all the services of our SQL Cluster in the same domain , this includes SQL server , SQLServerAgent, SQL server full. There are no any problems in starting both MSSQL service and SQLServer Agent Service. My cluster server is 64 bit windows OS and 64 bit SQL Server

First I changed MSSQL service account to mydomain\domainaccount through SQL Server Configuration Manager and it is working.

Then I used the same way to change SQLServerAgent from local system to mydomain\domainaccount. The following error showed up in the system event application logins.

1. Login failed for user ''. The user is not associated with a trusted SQL Server connection. [CLIENT: 192.168.1.86]

2. SSPI handshake failed with error code 0x8009030c while establishing a connection with integrated security; the connection has been closed. [CLIENT: 192.168.1.86]

3. SQLServerAgent could not be started (reason: SQLServerAgent must be able to connect to SQLServer as SysAdmin, but '(Unknown)' is not a member of the SysAdmin role).

Solutions:

1.Add SQLAgent Service account(mydomain\domainaccount )to login and grant sysadmin account from SSMS.

2.Start query analyzer

sp_configure 'Agent XPs',1

reconfigure

The error happened:

Address Windowing Extensions (AWE) requires the 'lock pages in memory' privilege which is not currently present in the access token of the process.

3. Endable “lock pages in memory” .

Refer this link: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms190730.aspx

4. Restart SQL server service through SQL Server Configure Manager

5. Rerun sp_configure 'Agent XPs',1

Reconfigure

6. Start SQL Server Agent.

• Judy

From the link you posted:

[font="Tahoma"]Locking pages in memory is not required on 64-bit operating systems.[/font]

You shouldn't need to use AWE in a 64-bit environment.

John

Edit: I've reread your post and it seems it wasn't the 64-bit server you were making the change on. Please therefore ignore my comments above.

• John Mitchell (4/8/2009)

Judy

From the link you posted:

[font="Tahoma"]Locking pages in memory is not required on 64-bit operating systems.[/font]

You shouldn't need to use AWE in a 64-bit environment.

John

Edit: I've reread your post and it seems it wasn't the 64-bit server you were making the change on. Please therefore ignore my comments above.

I might confuse you. The server on which I changed agent account is 32 bit standard.

• I had the same problem, changed the login account to administrator and it worked...

win server 2008 r2

slq server 2008

• One thing I found out is that taking the group NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM out of the SysAdmin group made it so I could not start a service (Agent or otherwise) after I stopped it.

Steve

• steve block (9/16/2010)

One thing I found out is that taking the group NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM out of the SysAdmin group made it so I could not start a service (Agent or otherwise) after I stopped it.

Steve

Yes, that would happen if your services are running under the Local System account. If you change them to run under a specified Windows account then you can safely remove NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM from sysadmin.

John

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 35 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply