Agent Start Problems

• Hi all,

SQL Server 2008 r2 SP1 (Dev edition) on Windows 2008 r2.

Everything was working fine. someone has done something (No idea no hands up either) and the Agent wont start now. Ive looked at some other posts and none have helped.

Im using a domain account. password is checked no worries there (Its running the SQLServer and having no worries). The service is set to automatically start.

If i have try to start in config manager i get:

The request failed or the service did not respond in a timely fashion. Consult the event log or other applicable error logs

The only Event in Event Viewer when i try to start the service is

Event ID 102, Source: SQLSERVERAGENT,

SQLServerAgent service successfully stopped.

Stopped! im trying to start the sneaky thing!

If i try to start it from Services i get:

The SQL Server Agent (MSSQLSERVER) service on Local Computer started and then stopped. Some services stop automatically if they are not in use by other services or programs.

thanks for any ideas?

S

• Check the SQLAGENT.OUT file in <SQL Instance directory>\Log

You can find the install directory by looking at the path of the service.

• Hi Howard,

I have the Dump Directory in the agent properties pointing to the same log folder as the MSSQLService log folder. (As i said using the same account for both. So there cant be a permissions problem!?)

And yep.. No SQLAGENT.OUT file... did a search to try and find it and no joy.

Found:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/sqlagent/archive/2010/12/08/troubleshooting-sql-agent-can-t-start-without-sqlagent-out-telling-the-reason.aspx

but again if it can write for the sql service.. cant be permission related?

• Have you checked the permission of registry key? One of the ways to do so is as follows.

-Run "regedit"

-Go to the registry key

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL10_50.MSSQLSERVER\SQLServerAgent]

-Right click on the key "SQLServerAgent"

-Select "Permission"

It is expected that Agent group must have FULL permission on it. If the permission is not FULL OR the Agent group does not exist, then either give the FULL permission OR add the group with FULL permission respectively.

• Also check if the account has permission on the folder that contains the SQLAgent.out log file.

If it can't write to that log file, the service won't start.

Need an answer? No, you need a question
    My blog at https://sqlkover.com.
    MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP

• First, I would not be touching SQL services through services.msc. Only touch these services through SQL Server Configuration Manager. My immediate thought is that the service account was added using srvices.msc instead of the configuration manager. This will not grant the proper permissions to the user.

Jared
    CE - Microsoft

• !!!

combining all your fine skills i have it working!

Few things i found...

In reg ErrorLogFile was pointing to a folder that didnt exist

In reg WorkingDirectory was pointing to a folder that didnt exist.

I created both the folders and bingo its back up and working.. Looks like someone decided to kindly delete them.

Is there another location that these settings can be changed? The only places i know to change the log are: SSMS open SQL Server Agent and right click Properties. (which was unavailable to me since i couldn't start it) and in config manager right click sql agent -> Advanced: Dump directory.

Thanks for all the help! glad to get that one sorted...

S

• Thank you! That did the trick for me as well. We're restoring our Q environment from Dev and SQL was reinstalled to a different directory.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply