AG File Share Witness, what's the best practice

• What would be the best thing to do when you implement many Availability groups on many servers and have only one NAS to host the file share witnesses. Should I put them all under the same folder, "SQLWitness" or should I create a sub-folder for each of them, SQLWitness\AG1, SQLWitness\AG2.. etc.

• sylvain.desmarais 74280 (9/30/2014)

What would be the best thing to do when you implement many Availability groups on many servers and have only one NAS to host the file share witnesses. Should I put them all under the same folder, "SQLWitness" or should I create a sub-folder for each of them, SQLWitness\AG1, SQLWitness\AG2.. etc.

This really depends on how you have setup service accounts for your AlwaysOn replicas. If they all use the same service account (which they must to be able to failover the listener), then you could have one share with subfolders and keep files there, the share just needs to be accessible by the one service account.

If you're not using a listener and have separate accounts running for each of the AlwaysOn group replica services then each account need access granted to the file share.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply