AG Backup Preference

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item AG Backup Preference

• I think the question could be ambiguous as I took it that you only wanted the backup to occur on the Secondary hence I choose Secondary_Only.

"I want to set the backup preference for my SalesAG Availability Group to have backups occur on the secondary when it is running."

• TimCarrett (12/8/2016)

I think the question could be ambiguous as I took it that you only wanted the backup to occur on the Secondary hence I choose Secondary_Only.

"I want to set the backup preference for my SalesAG Availability Group to have backups occur on the secondary when it is running."

Bit of a trick question yes 🙂

Need an answer? No, you need a question
    My blog at https://sqlkover.com.
    MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP

• TimCarrett (12/8/2016)

I think the question could be ambiguous as I took it that you only wanted the backup to occur on the Secondary hence I choose Secondary_Only.

Me too.

• I agree I thought it was only to occur on the Secondary when it was running and not the primary.

Doh!

• TimCarrett (12/8/2016)

Me too - but I still took a punt.

• I don't find the confusing part. Or maybe I just noticed the 3 hints to the correct answer.

I need to ensure the databases are backed up while minimzing load on the primary. I want to set the backup preference for my SalesAG Availability Group to have backups occur on the secondary when it is running

Further explanation on my reasoning:

ensure the databases are backed up - It means that backup jobs should always succeed, not only when the secondary is running.

minimzing load on the primary - It means that there would still be load on the primary.

backups occur on the secondary when it is running - This shows that there should happen something else when the seconday is not running.

Luis C.
    General Disclaimer:
    Are you seriously taking the advice and code from someone from the internet without testing it? Do you at least understand it? Or can it easily kill your server?

How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help: Option 1 / Option 2
  • Luis Cazares (12/8/2016)

I don't find the confusing part. Or maybe I just noticed the 3 hints to the correct answer.

I need to ensure the databases are backed up while minimzing load on the primary. I want to set the backup preference for my SalesAG Availability Group to have backups occur on the secondary when it is running

ensure the databases are backed up - It means that backup jobs should always succeed, not only when the secondary is running.

minimzing load on the primary - It means that there would still be load on the primary.

backups occur on the secondary when it is running - This shows that there should happen something else when the seconday is not running.

I agree - no ambiguity for me - multiple clues to the right answer.

• sipas (12/8/2016)

Luis Cazares (12/8/2016)

I don't find the confusing part. Or maybe I just noticed the 3 hints to the correct answer.

I agree - no ambiguity for me - multiple clues to the right answer.

+1

Interesting question, but I had to read it repeatedly several times...;-)

Thanks for this question Steve.

• I can see an ambiguous pronoun in there (bad Steve). Corrected

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply