After install of SQL 2012 SP2 on Server 2012, the SQL disks now say access denied

• Hi All

Strange one that I have never seen before.

Just installed SQL 2012 SP2 on a fresh install of Sever 2012, all went good, but now all the drives where I detailed on the install contain the MDF/LDF/Backups etc now give an access denied message, so it looks like the NTFS permissions have been messed up during the install.

Having a look at the permissions I have to specify that I want to read the perms as an admin, which isn't a problem as I'm a local admin on the box, but taking a look at the perms after that all looks good. Administrators is in with full control, MSSQLSERVER is also in with full control, but I still get access denied when trying to open the drive.

If I add myself in explicitly as a NTFS perm I get it, but I shouldn't have to change the drive permissions as I'm a local admin.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Ant

• Are you sure this isn't just a UAC problem, rather than NTFS permissions? Any directory off the root of a system drive will require elevated permissions (Run as Administrator) even if you're setup as a local admin.

Does the SQL Service get an access denied message, or just you when browsing in explorer? If it's just in Windows Explorer, do you get the same message if you launch Explorer as an administrator (right click, "Run As Administrator")?

• Potentially

Seems that the standard build gives "everyone" read access to the root of the drive which is removed when SQL changes the NTFS permissions to grant itself access to the drives. Just adding everyone in again does allow you to browse the drive.

Seems you don't get the option to run explorer / file explorer as an administrator. Tried running explorer via a CMD prompt running as admin also didn't yield any results. Unless I'm missing something as holding shift didn't give any run as administrator option.

• Hmm, seems you can't easily run explorer as admin in Server 2012/Win8 (which seems like an oversight to me!). You could definitely validate the assumption from a elevated/non-elevated cmd prompt and just see if you can dir on the folder under both.

• Yes it does seem to be a UAC issue, none elevated is deny while an elevated is success.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply