After acquisitions need for Unicode

• Hi all,

We are using SQL Server 2000 to run our application for companies across Europe.

Users input Dutch, French and English language. Now our company bought a russian company for who the users also need to work in the same database.

I searched through the internet and as I found out we need to switch our database to an appropiate collation that supports the russian language.

Does anyone have experience with changing the collation from a non-unicode to unicode one?

Thanks in advance,

Philippe

• Do you store different language data (inclusing russian) in the same column or do you have difrerent columns for each language data?

have you already changed your data types to unicode data types (nchar,nvarchar etc)

Give me an example of the exact problem you face. I have worked with a system supporting both english and arabic, but we had seperate columns for each language.

• A couple month ago I guess I had a problem like this. There was a library DB with different language data like english, lithuanian and russian. So I wrote a script which converted data(every symbol) from char to unicode. Now the different language data reside on the same columns

• Hi,

The data comes from an ERP system and each company in the system uses the same tables and fields, there is one field in the table which defines the company of the record. So the tables and fields should be converted to unicode (nvarchar, ntext,...) and if possible by one script, so Vidas I'm really interested where you found the script...

Kind regards,

Philippe

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply