Advice starting SQL Server user group in Albany NY

• jwbart06 (7/18/2011)

I have only been once, but I figured it would be a good general meeting place.

It is right next to the Hanaford\Mcdonalds on Wolf road.

Never been to the one next to AMC, but I here that is why it is called the "recovery room".:hehe:

Let me know which one you want to meet at today I will be there, probably only meet for 30 minutes, we can brainstorm.

I would still be on for Thursday night as well.

Sorry, just now read this. Not sure if today is good for me -- too short notice, and too much going on (promised my wife I'd take care of some stuff). (I know I said Mondays were good, but I meant in general; today is one of the few that wouldn't be good.) Also, later times (after 6:00) tend to work better for me.

I know exactly where the Wolf Road location is. I've been by it a number of times; I've just never felt compelled to go in there.

I believe Recovery Room is actually a chain. I thought the same thing about the one by AMC before I found out there was more than one.

+--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
    Check out my blog at https://pianorayk.wordpress.com/

• Here is my email: jwbart10@gmail.com,

shoot me an email and we can set up a time

I could meet tomorrow night?

I recieved an email from Melissa the Northeast PASS charter contact.

She and I are talking on Thursday afternoon, hopefully she can give me insight on starting up a user group.

• I think tomorrow can work. I'll send a PM when I know more.

+--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+

• I can probably do Tuesday evening 7/19 as well.

I still have contact information of everyone that expressed interest, I think around 10 people. I think it might be better to reach out to them and give them a few days to make arrangements. I can do any evening next week except Tuesday.

• Cool, I think if us three meet tomorrow night we could discuss how we want to form the user group and then thursday I can talk over and clarify what the rules and regulations are to become a PASS Charter with Melisa.

It is important to have a inperson meeting , then I can probably drum up some of my friends and we could have our first SQL User group meeting.

I think tomorrow after work 5:30pm , right now recovery room is on the table, if you have a preference any place is good with me. I can do later but I will probably eat at 5:30pm at the recovery room.

• I can probably do 5:30 @ Wolf Road Recovery Room, though later would be better.

What do you say, Dan? You game? Been a while since we hooked up!

• How late we talking? I can meet anytime, just let me know anywhere from 6-7pm, 7:30 is pushing it, kind of want to be home at a decent tiime.

I get off work at 5pm, but I could go talk with one of our prospects for meeting places after work until the time you want to meet.

Let me know.

• It wouldn't be that much later. We're talking 6:00. (Hey, I'd like to get home, too! :-))

• I am out at 5. I could easily be on Wolf Rd by 5:30, even with really bad traffic. Although I did have some car trouble this morning. If my car starts after work I should be able to get there.

Ray and I obviously know each other, so JW you are the wild card. However I am pretty easy to pick out of a crowd: 6'4'' and today I am wearing a read & white striped shirt.

• Right now, I'm planning on being there! I might be able to meet at 5:30, but it'll likely be a little later -- probably between 5:30 and 6:00. It'll probably depend on what I'm working on.

So that I know whom to look for, what do you look like?

I'm a heavyset Asian guy with a goatee. Today, I'm wearing a red shirt with a black tie and khakis. (Dan knows who I am! :-))

• Great 5:30pm wolf Road Recovery Room.

I will have a index card that says SQL Server Central.

Jeans and a Blue dress shirt with the sleeves rolled up, I might change into a black shirt with the sleeves rolled up, it depends on how my day goes.

My name is Joe.

I am bringing my laptop , PASS has a presentation on how to start a group.

Looking forward to the meeting.

• Good Talk last night!

Let start talking mission statement.

"to create access to a wealth of SQL Knowledge, include opportunities to grow socialbly, and ...."

Looking for ideas.

Like Ray said last night, why do we want to start a user group?

I mentioned we want to geer our efforts toward college students, most of our members, will not be strictly SQL Server DBA's and or Developers. Some will, I hope the core of them will become as passionate about SQL as we are.

Most of them will want to know what SQL Server can offer them.

• It was a good start last night. Thanks to both of you for taking the time.

I don't think we will really work out our mission/purpose statement here in this forum. What I would suggest is we each come up with our own ideas with regard to our mission, and then get together again to take the best each of us brings and synthesize them together.

Ray, you missed the short conversation about focusing on college students, and it was unfortunately interrupted by the waitress. I don't think we should limit ourselves, or our efforts, trying to appeal to a single group. Although I like Joe's idea of "get em while they're young", people interested in SQL Server come from all walks of life. There are complete beginners, and more experienced people, and everyone in between. Offering opportunity to a broad spectrum of people and experience will increase our likelihood of success. That is one of the reasons I think SQL Saturdays are so effective, there is something for everyone, and it's all good.

• Daniel Bowlin (7/20/2011)

It was a good start last night. Thanks to both of you for taking the time.

Definitely good hooking up with you guys last night. Nice way to have a little icebreaker to start out!

I don't think we will really work out our mission/purpose statement here in this forum. What I would suggest is we each come up with our own ideas with regard to our mission, and then get together again to take the best each of us brings and synthesize them together.

I agree. I don't think the forums are an appropriate place to have this discussion. Coming up with our own ideas would be a good approach. I'd suggest setting up a brainstorming session where we can toss out ideas and scrutinize and adjust them as necessary.

Ray, you missed the short conversation about focusing on college students, and it was unfortunately interrupted by the waitress. I don't think we should limit ourselves, or our efforts, trying to appeal to a single group. Although I like Joe's idea of "get em while they're young", people interested in SQL Server come from all walks of life. There are complete beginners, and more experienced people, and everyone in between. Offering opportunity to a broad spectrum of people and experience will increase our likelihood of success. That is one of the reasons I think SQL Saturdays are so effective, there is something for everyone, and it's all good.

Agreed here too. We should consider such a group open to anyone, regardless of experience level. Really, the only "requirement" (and I use this term loosely) would be a desire to learn more about the technology and maybe even offer opportunities (such as networking) for where to go to gain further knowledge and experience.

Something to think about: although the primary focus is SQL, do we (or should we) touch on other topics as well? As I said yesterday, although I still work with SQL Server, that is no longer my primary job function, so for me, personally, opportunities to learn about other technologies would be helpful as well.

• Something to think about: although the primary focus is SQL, do we (or should we) touch on other topics as well? As I said yesterday, although I still work with SQL Server, that is no longer my primary job function, so for me, personally, opportunities to learn about other technologies would be helpful as well.

Interesting thought Ray. I don't know if this would enhance or diminish our ability to attract and hold people. I am primarily focused on SQL Server Business Intelligence and related products. The key words there are related products. SQL Server BI is heavily integrated and partially dependent upon Sharepoint Server, PerformancePoint Services, and Excel Services, none of which is SQL Server. I am even aware of a number of people in the BI space using ASP.Net as a customized front end for their BI. I love to learn, and I am interested in learning just about anything either directly or periferally related to SQL Server. Perhaps the key will be relevance to the core theme of our mission.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 47 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply