Advice on Migrating entire instance to virtual

• The Systems group has announced that we will be migrating everything to a virtual environment. My task will be to move our main production SQL Server 2005 64 bit Enterprise Ed databases to the new instance of SQL Server installed on the virtual server.

The 35 user databases should be no problem (either detach/attach or restore from our many backups). But what's the best approach to the System db's? We have about 67 jobs in MSDB; 40 procs in Master (mostly Disaster Recovery tools) along with some 3rd party schemas and users from vendor programs. Should I try to restore backups of Master and MSDB over the top of the newly created system databases?

Or is it better to re-build the functionality piece-by-piece?

Same question for our relatively small number of SQL reports: Alter the DataSource to point to the new virtual server, or replace the existing object with a new one? (or does it matter?).

Elliott

• Reports - I think you're looking at 6's there. It will work either way, so whichever method you choose (of the two) should be fine.

As for the MSDB, I would be ok with restoring this one. As for the master, I would prefer to do a piece by piece transition of the schemas, procs, etc. No substantive evidence, just a preference.

Another thing that would work well for the system dbs is to use something like RedGate Compare.

If you have any master keys or certificates, you will need to move those over piece by piece.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• Thanks, that seems like good advice.

• You're welcome.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply