Administrator, but "no permissions" on database, extenuating circumstances??

• I have 5 databases (out of 9) that are giving me a "no permissions" error when I try to access them via SSMS. All 9 databases reside on the same remote server. The only thing that I can think of that changed since I had access to these dbs is that I installed 2012 Express on my workstation.

Any guidance on correcting the permission issue would be appreciated.

<><
    Livin' down on the cube farm. Left, left, then a right.

• OK. Sorted that out (needed better searching info to find).

Now can someone tell me which file I need for Express?

http://support.microsoft.com/hotfix/KBHotfix.aspx?kbnum=2908007&kbln=en-us

Thanks again.

<><

• Actually, why would it work for some and not others ... Additional insights are requested.

<><

• More info. I might have 2 issues. It looks like I can not see the "properties" on any of my databases. (hotfix issue). On some of the databases (the original 5) when I click on the name the "tables, views, etc." list does not appear, on the others it does.

<><

• How about posting the full and actual error message you are getting, it might help.

• Good point. Sorry.

When I double click on the database I get a pop-up that says "The database [name] is not accessible".

When I right click, and select "Properties" I get a dialog that says "Cannot show requested dialog blah, blah, blah, The user does not have permission perform this action ... error 297)"

I have attached screen shots of error windows in case there is more information that I see as pertinent.

Thanks for your help.

Here is something I am unclear on. I have Express 2012 (and SSMS) loaded locally

productversionproductleveledition

11.0.2218.0RTM Express Edition (64-bit)

so I am using those data tools to access the remote DBs which are

productversionproductleveledition

11.0.3128.0SP1 Standard Edition (64-bit)

so I am not clear of the update for Express that is talked about will actually help with this error. I am in the process of trying to load it, but I have space restrictions on my system, so I am struggling to get it to load.

<><

• Have you looked in the error logs to see if there is more information there?

• Aaaugh! Yes, of course. I forget about those. Thanks for the reminder.

I have been pulled in another direction for the foreseeable future, but will look there and report back when I can get back to this.

<><

• Well the logs gave me the answer, but not in the way expected. When I tried to access the logs I realized that the part-time admin that we have, did not set the permissions the same as in other instances we used. 🙁

Thanks for the help! 😉

<><

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply