Administer all SQL Servers from a central console (SSMS)

• Sorry, guys, I did this a few years back with 2000, but totally forgot. Any articles or ways of doing so? I think I am searching with the wrong sentence in BOL because I cannot find it. I know it must be there, just blame the driver!!! 😀

Thank you in advance

• Fernando-235287 (9/22/2009)

Sorry, guys, I did this a few years back with 2000, but totally forgot. Any articles or ways of doing so? I think I am searching with the wrong sentence in BOL because I cannot find it. I know it must be there, just blame the driver!!! 😀

Thank you in advance

Well you can add your servers to your registered servers, so you can access them in one place, or do you mean centralised automated administration where you can run scripts and monitor multiple servers from one console.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    [highlight]Recommended Articles on How to help us help you and[/highlight]
    [highlight]solve commonly asked questions[/highlight]

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help by Jeff Moden[/url]
    Managing Transaction Logs by Gail Shaw[/url]
    How to post Performance problems by Gail Shaw[/url]
    Help, my database is corrupt. Now what? by Gail Shaw[/url]

• The second. I administer all my servers from my work station using SSMS, that was not the question, sorry if it came out totally different.

What I am looking for is how to create a centralized instance to run jobs, create multi server tasks and jobs, run scripts etc.:w00t:

• As Silverfox said you can register all your servers in your SSMS and do any administrative task from your machine. But if you want to monitor all your servers from one place simultineously, or run some scripts on all servers at the same time, you cannot do it this way.

SS2005 doesn't have a console of this type, this nice option (Central Management Servers) belongs to SS2008 only.

You have to use use third-party tools fo doing that, like SQLSentry or RedGate SQL Multi Script.

• SQLSentry (www.sqlsentry.net) will handle jobs across servers. Red Gate has Multi Script (http://www.red-gate.com/products/SQL_Multi_Script/index.htm), which runs scripts across multiple servers.

You can designate a master/target server relationship which means that one instance acts as a master server with jobs, and you deploy those jobs to other instances, but it doesn't "manage" the other instances.

SSMS is a client app, it doesn't centrally manage any servers. It gives you a console from which you can access multiple servers. Everything you run there runs on the current instance to which you've connected.

If you provide more details about what you want to do, maybe we have other recommendations.

• Fernando-235287 (9/22/2009)

Sorry, guys, I did this a few years back with 2000, but totally forgot. Any articles or ways of doing so? I think I am searching with the wrong sentence in BOL because I cannot find it. I know it must be there, just blame the driver!!! 😀

Thank you in advance

With SQL Server 2000, you could publish jobs to multiple servers using MSX/TSX. Is this what you are enquiring after? 😉

I've not seen anything like this in 2005/8 though; perhaps someone else can point you in the right direction. :discuss:

Hope this helps.

• Looks like you can with 2008 after all ... 😀

From the BOL. http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms180992.aspx

Automating Administration Across an Enterprise

Automating administration across multiple instances of SQL Server is called multiserver administration. Use multiserver administration to do the following:

* Manage two or more servers.

* Schedule information flows between enterprise servers for data warehousing.

• Thank you Mark, that was exactly what I was looking for. 😀 :hehe: 🙂

• Removed comments as added to wrong topic. :w00t:

• Thanks Mark for that link. I will certainly take a look at that.

We do all of our customized data gathering via SSIS packages that poll each system. This is definitely something to look into though.

Steve

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply