Admin Permissions...Or Not

• A vendor installed SQL 2017 Express on a new server. I am in the Windows Administrator group, but do not have access to anything useful in SQL, when I RDP onto the Server..

Computer_Management -> Groups -> Administrators -> DomainName\MyName

What are some reasons I would not have access ?

• This topic was modified 3 days, 15 hours ago by  homebrew01.
  • Simple - by default when SQL Server is installed (all Editions) only those members added during the install are granted sysadmin rights to the SQL instance.  Unless someone with permissions adds your account to SQL and grants permission you will not have access.

Jeffrey Williams
    Problems are opportunities brilliantly disguised as insurmountable obstacles.

How to post questions to get better answers faster
    Managing Transaction Logs

• Is that new ?

So a Domain Admin can't grant SQL Admin access to another Windows Admin account, if the Domain Admin has not specifically been given SQL Admin permission at install time, or from an existing SQL Admin ?

• homebrew01 wrote:

Is that new ?

So a Domain Admin can't grant SQL Admin access to another Windows Admin account, if the Domain Admin has not specifically been given SQL Admin permission at install time, or from an existing SQL Admin ?

Nope, it's old, and by design. I, personally, don't want my Domain Administrators having access to my SQL Server's (especially with sysadmin privileges!!!) so I'm pleased it doesn't automatically grant them access as well.

If I did want my Domain Adminstrators to have access to the instance, I would create them, or their AD group, the needed LOGIN and USER objects with the minimal amount of permissions they need; which would certainly not be sysadmin.

• This reply was modified 3 days, 12 hours ago by  Thom A.

Thom~

Excuse my typos and sometimes awful grammar. My fingers work faster than my brain does.

• I have been away from SQL for a bit...getting rusty !

• This reply was modified 3 days, 11 hours ago by  homebrew01.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply