ADMIN DBA'S HELP

• I'm getting ready to take on the new role of an Admin DBA for my group which will hopefully turn into the Admin DBA for the company. My ideas on what an Admin DBA is and what the Senior DBA thinks an Admin DBA is are completely different. Can you all tell me what tasks you think should be done by an Admin DBA?

• This is the first I've heard of an Admin DBA, as DBA already indicates Database Administrator. At the Senior level, the DBA wears many hats, usually encompassing (but not limited to)admin work, security, performance tuning, and database programming.

I would expect the Admin DBA then works in a Junior level or as an assitant to the Senior DBA. You should be prepared to do alot of grunt work. Look at it as a stepping stone to get ahead. Futhermore, what makes an exceptional DBA is the real world experiences you have been able to secure under your belt. Also, being able to communicate effectively your company's policy & procedures when it comes to the database systems. Possibly, you may be asked to document these policies (if not done already) which could fall under the Admin DBA's role.

My advice, is learn all you can. Be a sponge to your Senior DBA, soak up all of their knowledge. Use this forum! It is an invaluable resource for information. Remain optimistic, that position will be yours! Finally, get a clear understanding of what is expected of you, just bear in mind that you'll have your chance!

Good Luck!

Aurora

• What does your SR DBA think an 'ADMIN DBA' job is?

From the title, it almost sounds like this is an 'administrative' job. Documentation type things.

-SQLBill

• Besides documenting the many issues that often need to be documented, does your new role involve taking care of the daily review of backups, jobs, new users, and any minor database restores. Looks like the Senior DBA is giving you a title other than Junior DBA and having your job encompass the mundane chores most Senior DBAs no longer want to do. Whatever the job is, you should take advantage of whatever training and knowledge the Senior DBA is willing to give you.

• I'm thinking this may be a non-development DBA position. A pure backup/restore/configure/troubleshooting role without the fun of creating and building new things. The comments about the "junior" role in previous responses could also be expected.

• Thanks so much for you feedback. To answer some of your questions, The role isn't completely a junior DBA role. In the Sr DBA eyes there are two types of DBAs a Programming DBA (one who does the stored procs, triggers, etc..) and an Admin DBA(who adds users, responsible for backups, etc...) The only real documentation I have to do is create the standards, policys, and procedures on how admin stuff will be done. Such as a standard for how backups will be done. I guess my question was to figure out what tasks do you all consider admin type tasks vs the programming type taks. I just want my documentation to be thorough. Since I'm technically a DBA in training, I wanted to get some ideas outside of my knowledge base. Hopefully, my question is clearer now and I look forward to reading your feedback.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply