admin account and pwd

• I have a new SQLServer Express edition install that was done by a 3rd party.

What is the admin account and default password so I can login?

Oracle for years used sys or system with change_on_install as the pwd.

Does sql server do the same thing?

thanks.

• There is no default sa username/password - and if the vendor did not enable SQL logins when they installed, then it wouldn't be available anyways.

By default SQL Express enables only Windows Authentication.  During installation, if you decide to enabled SQL Authentication you are then prompted for an sa password.  That password can be set to anything the installer wishes - and there is no way to know what it is unless you ask the vendor.

Jeffrey Williams
    “We are all faced with a series of great opportunities brilliantly disguised as impossible situations.”

― Charles R. Swindoll

How to post questions to get better answers faster
    Managing Transaction Logs

• I was able to run the cmd prompt and execute sql statements.  It had the 1> prompt in the screen.

I could not find a sqlcmd.exe or a sqlcmd.bat.  I did see sqlcmdDSS.rll and sqlcmdDSS.dll files.

is this correct?

thanks.

• If you are able to run SQLCMD and login - then you should be able to download SSMS and use that to access the system.  You said you were able to open a command window and execute sql statements - but you didn't say how you launched the command window or what you executed to get the SQL prompt.

Either way - SSMS is free to download and comes with both SSMS and Azure Data Studio.  Either of which will allow for connecting to your SQL instance.

Jeffrey Williams
    “We are all faced with a series of great opportunities brilliantly disguised as impossible situations.”

― Charles R. Swindoll

• I was in the File Explorer Window and went to the File Menu and then clicked on the cmd prompt.

the cmd prompt window opened with the:

1>

2>

and so on.

• Interesting - you must have started SQLCMD window and not a DOS command window.  That isn't an option on my Windows 10 system - but doesn't really matter.

Go here: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/ssms/download-sql-server-management-studio-ssms?view=sql-server-ver15

Download and install SSMS (includes Azure Data Studio now) - and you can use either to connect to the instance and run queries.

Jeffrey Williams

― Charles R. Swindoll

• An admin account has privileges to manage services for other people in your organization. The Admin console is only available when you're signed in to an admin account. If you don't have access to an admin account, get help from someone else who does. Who is my administrator?  get-vidmateapp.com

get-mobdroapk.com

• This reply was modified 2 years, 12 months ago by  carolynperry.
  • Jeffrey Williams wrote:

Download and install SSMS (includes Azure Data Studio now)

Bit of a sidebar question on my part because I've not installed nor even downloaded SSMS since they made that change...

Do you know if there's an option to make it so Azure Data Studio isn't installed during the  SSMS installation?

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• carolynperry wrote:

An admin account has privileges to manage services for other people in your organization. The Admin console is only available when you're signed in to an admin account. If you don't have access to an admin account, get help from someone else who does. Who is my administrator?

The way your post is written, it's hard to tell if you're asking the question or telling someone else the question to ask.

If you're asking the question, it would be the person who installed the instance.  If that's you and you don't know the password, your life just became a whole lot more interesting.  You may have to start over and you'll probably lose any data if any was created in the database through some non-admin login.

If it's a 3rd party that stood up the instance, that might also be interesting.  I've not seen many 3rd parties that keep track of such things unless it's a proper "managed instance" provider.

--Jeff Moden

________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Helpful Links:

• SSMS-Setup-ENU.18.8.exe /Passive DoNotInstallAzureDataStudio=1 /install /quiet /norestart /log SSMS_install.log

ref: last line of this paragraph

Johan

Learn to play, play to learn !

Dont drive faster than your guardian angel can fly ...
    but keeping both feet on the ground wont get you anywhere :w00t:

- How to post Performance Problems
    - How to post data/code to get the best help[/url]

- How to prevent a sore throat after hours of presenting ppt

press F1 for solution, press shift+F1 for urgent solution 😀

Need a bit of Powershell? How about this

Who am I ? Sometimes this is me but most of the time this is me

• Johan Bijnens wrote:

SSMS-Setup-ENU.18.8.exe /Passive DoNotInstallAzureDataStudio=1 /install /quiet /norestart /log SSMS_install.log

ref: last line of this paragraph

Awesome.  Thanks, Johan.

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply