Adding instance to Cluster

• I am trying to add a 4th instance to a SQL 2008 Cluster running on Win2008, the default instance and original 2 instances installed fine, however at the Cluster Network Configuration i try to add the New IP address but i get the error

The IP Address x.x.100.23 is already in use. To continue specify a different IP Address.

I have tried other ips in the subnet and they all return the same error. It is a new VLAN and subnet so unlikely that all the ips are in use.

I have tried pinging the IP and it returns nothing, Any one know what i shoudl try next

Thanks

• If i try to ping the sql instances from the Passive node, i do not get a reply, is this normal? (i get a reply from active node).

I also cannot connect to sql from passive node, tried ip address and name(think it the right name). is this normal?

• Have you tried doing an nslookup on the ipaddress for your new instance? If you are getting an error saying IP is in use, that should tell you what is using it.

• i have tried nslookup, it shows that there isnt anything on that ip.

The logs show EventID 1129 'Cluster Network is partitioned' but only suggested resolution is to check network adapters etc, which as far as i can see all look ok.

when running ARP on the passive node it returns the physical address of the SQL instances as the firewall and not the active node. (which it does on our test cluster)

I am starting to thin kit is more network related than OS /SQL , so i will get our network team to take a look at firewall setting etc

• Checking with network guys might be a good idea. That IP address could be used as a NAT address and if so, I don't think those show up with an nslookup.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply