Adding Foreign Keys

• Hey all,

I have a question if you wouldn't mind.

I have a db Cases with an Identity column CaseID and I have a few other dbs that store the CaseID. Up to this point I have been taking care of the referential integrity in my app but am moving to Entity Framework so I need the foreign keys in the DB. I am stumped.

I go into the Cases DB and try to create the FK but it keeps complaining about a unique ID issue.

Primary KeyTable CaseTypes field is CaseTypeID FK Table is Cases field is CaseTypeID.

'CaseTypes' table saved successfully

'Cases' table

- Unable to create relationship 'FK_Cases_CaseTypes'.

The ALTER TABLE statement conflicted with the FOREIGN KEY constraint "FK_Cases_CaseTypes". The conflict occurred in database "-------", table "dbo.CaseTypes", column 'CaseTypeID'.

They are both identity columns?????????????

:crazy:

• john-902052 (8/20/2011)

Hey all,

I have a db Cases with an Identity column CaseID and I have a few other dbs that store the CaseID. Up to this point I have been taking care of the referential integrity in my app but am moving to Entity Framework so I need the foreign keys in the DB. I am stumped.

I go into the Cases DB and try to create the FK but it keeps complaining about a unique ID issue.

Primary KeyTable CaseTypes field is CaseTypeID FK Table is Cases field is CaseTypeID.

'Cases' table

The ALTER TABLE statement conflicted with the FOREIGN KEY constraint "FK_Cases_CaseTypes". The conflict occurred in database "-------", table "dbo.CaseTypes", column 'CaseTypeID'.

Please provide your DDL to include Primary Keys, Unique and Foreign Key Constraints, etc.

For better, quicker answers on T-SQL questions, click on the following...
    http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/

For better answers on performance questions, click on the following...
    http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/SQLServerCentral/66909/

• john-902052 (8/20/2011)

Hey all,

'Cases' table

So your application managed DRI didn't do a good job :sick:

Your cases table is using a case type value that doesn't exist in the casetypes table.

To detect the issues at data level, just write a query like:

select * from cases C where not exists ( select * from casetypes CT where CT.casetypeid = C.casetypeid)

Johan

Learn to play, play to learn !

Dont drive faster than your guardian angel can fly ...
    but keeping both feet on the ground wont get you anywhere :w00t:

- How to post Performance Problems
    - How to post data/code to get the best help[/url]

- How to prevent a sore throat after hours of presenting ppt

press F1 for solution, press shift+F1 for urgent solution 😀

Need a bit of Powershell? How about this

Who am I ? Sometimes this is me but most of the time this is me

• I should have caught that, it is getting late.

You are trying to create a FK Constraint on a child tabe record(s) where there is not a correspnding record in the parent table.

For better, quicker answers on T-SQL questions, click on the following...
    http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/

For better answers on performance questions, click on the following...
    http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/SQLServerCentral/66909/

• Your correct it was a lookup table that I added later on in the project and didn't go back and fix the old records.

Thanks so much.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply