Adding Constraint based on two columns

• Hello,

I have a table which has two columns such as Type and Date. If I enter "Apple" in Type I have to restrict the user to enter date > 01/01/2020 or if they enter any other value for Type, I don't need to restrict the value for Date. If they don't enter any date the value should default to 12-31-2199.

How can we achieve this in constraint as two columns are involved.

ALTER TABLE [Testing]

ADD CONSTRAINT CHK_Dates CHECK (([Type] = 'Apple' AND [Date] >= '01-01-2020') OR [Type] LIKE '%%' )

ALTER TABLE [Testing]

ADD CONSTRAINT DF_Dates DEFAULT '12-31-2199' FOR [Date]

The above constraint is not working as expected. Please share your thoughts.

Thanks in advance

• Your constraint should be something like below, drop the existing one on the table and create it as the following.

ADD CONSTRAINT CHK_Dates CHECK 
    (
    ([Type] = 'Apple' AND [Date] >= '01-01-2020') OR
    ([Type] <> 'Apple' AND [Date] between '1-1-1900' and '12-31-2199')
    )

Change the dates that fulfills your requirement in the between clause.

=======================================================================

• deleted the duplicate post.

=======================================================================

• And if you truly don't care about the date entered when Type is not "Apple", you can simplify Emperor100's example to

ALTER TABLE [Testing]
    ADD CONSTRAINT CHK_Dates CHECK
    (
    ([Type] = 'Apple' AND [Date] >= '01-01-2020') OR
    ([Type] <> 'Apple')
    )
  • Thank you.

How to add default constraint with this one? I want CHK_Dates constraint as well if someone enters other than apple and if they don't enter [Date]. It must default to '12-31-2199'.

• Thank you.

How to add default constraint with this one? I want CHK_Dates constraint as well if someone enters other than apple and if they don't enter [Date]. It must default to '12-31-2199'.

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply