Adding Access DB''s

• We have an EDI application that uses access DB files.......MDB and LDB. We are running SQL 2000 and would like to access these Access DB files on our server but we don't know the login or password (nor do I have any experience with Access). Is there a way to just add the DB files and create new logins to SQL 2000? We want to integrate this DB with our internal VB application and current SQL DB. Any suggestions are much appreciated!!! TIA! 

• The only file you would be able to access is the MDB.  The LDB basically is there to let the system know it is currently opened by someone/something.

Can you open the Access database without entering a password?  IF YES search for sp_addlinkedserver and Access.  There are plenty of sites that provide well documented ways of doing this (including here).

IF NO then you COULD search for free programs online that can provide the userid/password information.  You would then use sp_addlinkedserver (which you have already searched on) and provide those credentials to link into the Access DB.

Good Hunting!

AJ Ahrens

webmaster@kritter.net

• Thanks AJ Ahrens. Will have to do some searching. Thanks again.

• If you try and open the Access Database and are prompted for the UserID and Password ie there is an associated .mdw file (a Workgroup file) then the person who built the security will have to give you an ID and password so you can connect. If the Access db only prompts you for a password then there are many password 'crackers' availiable.

• would I be right in saying what your actually wanting to do is to upsize your access database from access into your sql server so your database runs from your sql server instead?

martin

• Well.....sort of. This program Gentran uses an Access DB and is always running on the same server that SQL is on. Not sure that I want to change it to SQL. Gentran might require it to be only in an Access DB. I'll have to look into that.

We want to be able to poll the Gentran Access DB for information and progress and then update our SQL DB based on whats going on in Gentran. Problem is it's password protected and we don't know the login or passord.  I could call tech support and probably re-install it etc. (don't really want to)  but I was under the assumption (at least with SQL DBs) you could just have your DB files (ldf and mdf file), attach those to your server and your in, regardless of the logins previously setup. This is assuming that SQL logins are server wide but not truely DB specfic. Am I wrong? If I find someones DB files and they are not encrypted can't I just add it and retrieve all their data? If so I assumed you could do the same with Access but I don't have any experience with it.  Martin thanks for the reply!

• In my previous job we had Gentran running on a SQL Server database directly, and we queried its tables directly (CAUTION: you have to be EXTREMELY careful when doing that, cause you may block and corrupt the system).

Check with your Gentran Tech support people; they may be using an Access DB only to allow you access to the SQL tables via linked tables, and only to those tables that are "safe" to access.

So if you try to link Access back to SQL, you may be going in circles.

Hope this helps.

• C R thanks for the tip! I'll contact Sterling Commerce and figure out what we need to do. I don't want corrupted DBs!!!! Thanks again!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply