Adding a SQL connection to Microsoft Visual Studio

• nothing on cloud side of the VM server - only one section for firewall rules

• Just to add to what Ant-Green is saying - if you expose your SQL instance to the internet (ie not behind a firewall), someone is going to try to get in at some point. If it is exposed, they can do attacks against it (brute force the password, or service disruption by causing account lockouts). If you have it behind a site to site VPN, they need to get into one of your sites in order to see the SQL instance.

AND since you posted the IP address in your images along with the port, finding that IP isn't hard to do. I'd either edit the image and re-upload OR remove the image with the IP in it... UNLESS that isn't the real IP in which case you are fine :).

Also, if you are licensed for SQL Server Standard or Enterprise, is there a reason you are installing Express on the instance?

And last, probably dumb but I've heard it said there are no dumb questions, is your SQL instance up and running?

The above is all just my opinion on what you should do. 
    As with all advice you find on a random internet forum - you shouldn't blindly follow it.  Always test on a test server to see if there is negative side effects before making changes to live!
    I recommend you NEVER run "random code" you found online on any system you care about UNLESS you understand and can verify the code OR you don't care if the code trashes your system.

• OH god did i post the ip?

which reply was it?

• all sorted thank you guys!!

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply