Adding a processor to an existing installation

• Well, well, well....

Here I am again with a new question for the community. I'm not sure if this is the right topic/forum for the question, so please excuse me, if this question has been asked before. (I couldn't find anyhting with the search)

Has anybody had expirience adding a second processor to a Windows 2000 Server running SQL Server 2000 SP2 ?

I don't have to do it right now, but gathering information while the system is still running ok, is better than having to search for information when the steak is already on the grill and burning.

I searched MS for infos....(see signature)

Thanks in advance.

Searching the KB articles is like

picking your nose. You never know

what you'll find.

• Windows will not detect the processor until you upgrade the kernel to do so. This is not a trivial task and you need to be sure you have a good backup of everything first.

In NT 4 this was a shaky process. I've heard it's gotten better, but haven't tried it.

SQL doesn't care. It will run with whatever NT reports. Note that your licensing may change and you may need another SQL License, depening on how you are licensed.

Steve Jones

sjones@sqlservercentral.com

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/columnists/sjones

• Steve's right. NT 4.0 could be ugly but 2000 is better. I have done the 4.0 personally and messed it up the first time.

Several of my crew have done the 2000 version and they stated it is a no-brainer. I can try to dig up documentation if you like but the MS stuff should be pretty good.

One note is that if your HW product provider, i.e. Compaq, has the utility then use theirs as that will make it rock solid. Had I done that with NT 4.0 I would have been great first time. Oh well, live and learn.

Hope this helps.

David

David

@SQLTentmaker

“He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose” - Jim Elliot

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply