Adding a back button on a child report

• Also, I wanted to verify that you're using the Go to URL property and not Jump to report?

-Luke.

To help us help you read this[/url]For better help with performance problems please read this[/url]

• Luke L (8/27/2010)

Also, I wanted to verify that you're using the Go to URL property and not Jump to report?

-Luke.

In fact, I use Go to report to drill down. But, on the return, I pick Go to URL.

In any event, you solved it for me. Thanks again. So for example, if you have a left arrow, like an embedded jpg, with no text, it will not work!!!!!:w00t:

• tsmith-960032 (8/27/2010)

Luke L (8/27/2010)

Also, I wanted to verify that you're using the Go to URL property and not Jump to report?

-Luke.

In fact, I use Go to report to drill down. But, on the return, I pick Go to URL.

In any event, you solved it for me. Thanks again. So for example, if you have a left arrow, like an embedded jpg, with no text, it will not work!!!!!:w00t:

Really? I was just going to suggest an image since you'll be clicking on the entire image instead of just the text of a textbox. I'd be interested to see if the image bit doesn't help some. Additionally, if you choose to stick with the text box, make the text blue and underlined to make it look like what people are used to seeing with a hyperlink. I think you'll get more people clickign int he right place that way.

-Luke.

To help us help you read this[/url]For better help with performance problems please read this[/url]

• Luke L (8/27/2010)

tsmith-960032 (8/27/2010)

Luke L (8/27/2010)

-Luke.

Really? I was just going to suggest an image since you'll be clicking on the entire image instead of just the text of a textbox. I'd be interested to see if the image bit doesn't help some. Additionally, if you choose to stick with the text box, make the text blue and underlined to make it look like what people are used to seeing with a hyperlink. I think you'll get more people clickign int he right place that way.

-Luke.

You would think it would work with an image, but it doesn't. Yes, I have made all clickables blue and underlined. No text, no work.

Again, thank you. I would consider this to be a bug. And then, you have to make the box just fit around the text, so they can't miss it and click outside the text.

• Did you put an image in the textbox and if so did you set the action attribute of the text box or the image? You'd think you'd be able to set the action attribute of the image so that it would work correctly, tho again I don't have 2008 in front of me to test.

-Luke.

• Luke L (8/27/2010)

Did you put an image in the textbox and if so did you set the action attribute of the text box or the image? You'd think you'd be able to set the action attribute of the image so that it would work correctly, tho again I don't have 2008 in front of me to test.

-Luke.

I set the textbox. After your suggestion, I looked for image attributes, but there aren't any, or at least, I haven't found them.

Just whether you want external, embedded, etc. and then import it.

• Odd, I could have sworn you could set that on an image, I'll have to play with it at home this weekend. In the meantime, Another idea would be to use a rectangle instead of the textbox. I'm pretty sure you can set an action attribute on that as well, then drop the image inside the rectangle?

• Luke L (8/27/2010)

Odd, I could have sworn you could set that on an image, I'll have to play with it at home this weekend. In the meantime, Another idea would be to use a rectangle instead of the textbox. I'm pretty sure you can set an action attribute on that as well, then drop the image inside the rectangle?

I'll try it and get back to you. Thanks.

• tsmith-960032 (8/27/2010)

Luke L (8/27/2010)

Odd, I could have sworn you could set that on an image, I'll have to play with it at home this weekend. In the meantime, Another idea would be to use a rectangle instead of the textbox. I'm pretty sure you can set an action attribute on that as well, then drop the image inside the rectangle?

I'll try it and get back to you. Thanks.

No Action attributes for rectangle.

By the way, these also work.

="j********t:history.back(1)"

="j********t:history.go(-1)"

• By the way, just for accuracy's sake, I could have used Go to report and just called the parent report from the child, but, that would take me back to the first page of the parent, and not to the page from which I drilled down. Plus, if you have multiple drill down levels, the Go to Report call back could get messy. Actually, I have 2 child levels on this project, with the Parent being a pie chart with on time delivery percentages, and when you click on one of the slices it takes you to one of the childs where you see load details, and from there you can drill down again to see individual order details.

• According to http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms159088.aspx

You can add links that allow users to open Web pages or other reports, or jump to another location within the same report. To add a link, you define an action for a report item such as a text box, image, chart, or gauge.

... emphasis mine.

Again, I haven't had a chance to test this but...

-Luke.

• Are you rendering this in a browser? Because on the child report all you have to do is click the browser's back button... or press backspace.

If you are rendering in the ReportViewer, there is a little blue left arrow button, just to the right of the last page button, that returns you to the parent report.

Am I missing something?

Wayne
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
    Author - SQL Server T-SQL Recipes

If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
    Links:
    For better assistance in answering your questions
    Performance Problems
    Common date/time routines
    Understanding and Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2

• WayneS (8/27/2010)

Are you rendering this in a browser? Because on the child report all you have to do is click the browser's back button... or press backspace.

If you are rendering in the ReportViewer, there is a little blue left arrow button, just to the right of the last page button, that returns you to the parent report.

Am I missing something?

No, you aren't missing anything, however, "they" want all actions to be made from within the report itself, and not using the default buttons on the browser or viewer. In effect, they want it to hit you in the face. (Bigger than the browser or viewer, and within the report itself).

• tsmith-960032 (8/30/2010)

WayneS (8/27/2010)

Are you rendering this in a browser? Because on the child report all you have to do is click the browser's back button... or press backspace.

Am I missing something?

No, you aren't missing anything, however, "they" want all actions to be made from within the report itself, and not using the default buttons on the browser or viewer. In effect, they want it to hit you in the face. (Bigger than the browser or viewer, and within the report itself).

Well then, IMHO, "they" are crazy! :w00t: This is a standard action, and it is available on ALL browsers. To build it in yourself, into all of your reports, is (again, IMHO) lunacy.

Wayne
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
    Author - SQL Server T-SQL Recipes

If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
    Links:
    For better assistance in answering your questions
    Performance Problems
    Common date/time routines
    Understanding and Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply