Add SQL Server 2005 nodes to a SQL2000 cluster

• I am trying to add 2 2005 nodes to an existing cluster. The cluster is using a SAN with - T, U drives as data and log in node 1, and - V, W drives as data and log in node 2

I want to add SQL2005 nodes, using these drives. When I start the install I check the box to create a new virtual server (If I leave it unchecked the install is not cluster aware)

When I get to the wizard step to use a cluster group resource, I cannot use any of the drives as they are in use by the existing virtual server.

I tried making a new group, but when I do that I cannot assign the existing drives to the new groups.

How does one normally acheive this without rebuilding the SAN to add in extra partitions? Has anyone seen any effective resources about how to do this?

Thanks

Geoff Tanner

Informatel, Australia.

• If I remember right you can only have one SQL Server instance for each cluster group. So you cannot add a 2005 instance on a existing cluster.

So eiher create an instance on a new cluster resource or upgrade the existing instances.

[font="Verdana"]Markus Bohse[/font]

• add new disks to the cluster, create a new cluster group and install the 2005 instance into the new group

• Thanks, I was moving towards that conclusion myself. Very helpful!

• FWIW..

Even if you could add a SQL 2005 box to a SQL 2000 cluster, if it ever failed over to that machine, the dbs would be converted to SQL 2005's format and therefore could never be remounted to a SQL 2000 server again..

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply