Add new column to flat file source

• What is the best way to deal with a flat file source when you need to add a new column?  This happens constantly in our Data Warehouse, another field gets added to one of the files to be imported, as users want more data items.  I have the file set up in Connection Managers, and Suggest File Types was used, and then many adjustments made to data types and lengths on the Advanced Tab because Suggest File Types goofs a lot even if you say to use 1000 rows.  But I used Advanced Tab revisions to minimize the Derived Column entries.   File is importing nightly.  Now I have new fields added to this file, and when I open the Connection Manager for the file, it does not recognize the new columns in the file unless I click Reset Fields.  If I click Reset Fields, it wipes out all the Advanced Tab revisions!  If I don't click Reset Fields, it doesn't seem to recognize that the new fields are in the file?

Is making Advanced Tab changes a waste of time?  Is it a better strategy to just use Suggest Types, and not change anything, and take whatever you get and set up more Derived Column entries?  How did the designers intend for file changes to be handled?

Is there an easy way to add new fields to this import that I am overlooking?  I am finding it MUCH more laborious to set up or to modify a file load in SSIS than in DTS.  In DTS, I just Edit the transformation, and add the field to the Source and Destination lists, and I'm good to go.  My boss isn't understanding why a "better" version is taking so much more work!

thanks,

Holly

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

• Hi,

you can simply add the new column manually in the connection manager (in the "advanced" section right below "columns") and define its data type and size.

You can then place the newly added column at the right position if necessary. This will preserve your changes.

Regards,

Michael

• Thanks, Michael, I will experiment with that, maybe that is the solution I am looking for.

Holly

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply