Add calculated column to a table using SSIS

• Hello,

In the project that I am working on(creating a dataset), I need to calculate the sum of a field(Gross_Wgt)and then group it by another field(Booking_ID).

The problem is there about 15 other columns and they just need to be displayed as is without any calculation(or using MAX). Is there a way to achieve this without adding MAX to the other columns and also not including other fields in the group by clause ? I just need to sum one field and group by another(one only) field...

As I am using SSIS for this project, is it possible to calculate the Gross Wgt of one field and then add it to the table

Kind Regards,

Paul

• Probably.

But unless you provide a better description of what you are trying to achieve, that's the best answer I can provide.

Here[/url] is a link to an article which will describe how you could pose your question in a way that will make it much easier for others to help you.

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• Hi Phil,

Thanks for your reply. What I need to achieve is SUM of GROSS_WGT and then GROUP BY BOOKING_ID. The query below would give you the clear picture:

SELECT

SUM(GROSS_WGT) AS GROSS_WGT,

BOOKING_ID,

KL_EQUIPMENT_TYPE_CD,

EQ_CNT,

BOOKING_TYPE_CD,

BOOKING_STATUS_CD,

BOOKING_OFFICE_CD,

BOOKING_SALES_OFFICE_CD,

SERVICE_CD,

PDL_LOCATION_CD,

GENERAL_COMMODITY_CD

FROM tablename

GROUP BY BOOKING_ID

-------------------------------------------

The problem is I cannot just SUM GROSS_WGT and then only GROUP BY BOOKING_ID. I would have to use MAX (or something else) for other columns if I am summing one of the columns. I also need to include the other columns in GROUP BY, which is not the requirement.

So what I asked was is it possible to achieve this using SSIS. I mean just create a table without the GROSS_WGT column and then using SQL task add this column to the table in the next step.

I hope I am clear in explaining the scenario now.

Kind Regards,

Paul

• That's better. You can do that using a subquery - something like this (untested):

SELECT

t2.SumGross,

t.BOOKING_ID,

t.KL_EQUIPMENT_TYPE_CD,

etc etc

FROM tablename t

JOIN

(select t1.Booking_ID, Sum(t1.Gross_Wgt) SumGross

from tablename t1

group by t1.Booking_ID) t2

on t.Booking_ID = t2.BookingID

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• Thanks very much for your helpful solution, Phil....I really appreciate it. You have also cleared my long running confusion about this !!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply