Add a new user

• I want to give a user access to a database. Via SSMS I expand the database, expand security

and right click users.

Selecting new user, I click the Login Name and then browse the objects only to see the user

is not there. What do I need to do?

URLs / comments are appreciated. Thanks.

• You could use the Create Data Reader User template. It will create a login, set a default database, create the user and add db_datareader privileges.

In the view menu, select Template Explorer and then under the User folder, double-click the "Create Data Reader User" template. The press control-alt-M and fill in the parameters and run the script.

Converting oxygen into carbon dioxide, since 1955.
  • does the user exist as a server principle already? if not it will need to be added as a login first before it can be added as a DB user

• So in order for this 'user' to be added - they have to be a "server principal" aka login. Is this correct?

Taking this one step further - I want to use this account for ownership of jobs rather than my personal account. This would be a system account for lack of a better phrase. In any event - what roles should they be given? All of them?

Any comments are appreciated and thank you all for responding...

• First you have to create login i.e. window Login or SQL Login. For Window login you need to search to get window user or for SQL login just put name. then by expanding database you can add that login as user with same name or different name.

Thanks & Best Regards
    Sumit Rana

• jralston88 (5/11/2012)

So in order for this 'user' to be added - they have to be a "server principal" aka login. Is this correct?

Taking this one step further - I want to use this account for ownership of jobs rather than my personal account. This would be a system account for lack of a better phrase. In any event - what roles should they be given? All of them?

Any comments are appreciated and thank you all for responding...

Ok... For a service account you really want to have it be a domain user. Have your domain admin create a user like DOMAIN\SQLAgentUser or DOMAIN\SQLADMIN or whatever. I find it best to use a separate user for separate services. You will not have to do anything within Logins or Users in SSMS to these users.

MOST IMPORTANT!!! ******* !!!!! %%%%%%

DO NOT change the service account in the services window (services.msc). USE ONLY the SQL Server Configuration Manager to change the service account.

Jared
    CE - Microsoft

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply