add 2nd data file and limit the size of 1st datafile

• Hi,
    We have two drives for data files and I've been asked to go to each db, limit the max size of primary data file so that it stops using it and then starts using a new data file with unlimited max size.

Any script to restrict the db from using primary data file ? I can use the below to add  secondary data file, but what should I see so that there is no maxsize?

ALTER DATABASE dbname
    ADD FILE
    (

NAME = dat2,
        FILENAME =
    'E:\DATA\t1dat3.ndf',

SIZE = 1024,

MAXSIZE = ??,
        FILEGROWTH = 1024

)

Thanks,

• If you don't set maxsize, then the size is unlimited. To restrict the size of the first file, you can set a max size on the existing file.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Expand Databases; right click thedatabase and select Properties .Go to Files & change theAutogrowth/Maxsize settings to Limited
    You will be able to script this Action to new query window as well.

• sqlguy80 - Saturday, May 20, 2017 9:58 PM

Hi,
    We have two drives for data files and I've been asked to go to each db, limit the max size of primary data file so that it stops using it and then starts using a new data file with unlimited max size.

Any script to restrict the db from using primary data file ? I can use the below to add  secondary data file, but what should I see so that there is no maxsize?

ALTER DATABASE dbname
    ADD FILE
    (

NAME = dat2,
        FILENAME =
    'E:\DATA\t1dat3.ndf',

SIZE = 1024,

MAXSIZE = ??,
        FILEGROWTH = 1024

)

Thanks,

Be aware that there are certain objects that always hit the primary file of the primary filegroup, so it will need some growth. Put a new file into the same filegroup and the round robin algorithm will kick in.
    It will spread data between all files in the filegroup.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply