Active X Script help please

• Hi,

Can someone help me on this? I have a DTS package created which would dump the data into the excel file and then sends an email. But what i want to do is i want the email to be sent only if there is any data present in the excel file. If there is no data in the excel i dont want to send an email. can anyone provide an active x script or any other solution for this. Thanks a lot for any help.

• you can use an "execute sql task"

use a select count(*) from tabletoexport

if count(*) > 0

xp_sendmail

end if

• In the Workflow properties, you can execute an ActiveX script that determines whether to run the step or not.  The task called "MyExcelTask" (use your name; find name in the disconnected edit) has to be a datapump task.

function Main()

if DTSGlobalVariable.Parent.Tasks("MyExcelTask").CustomTask.RowsComplete < 20 then

' 20 or some other threshold

Main = DTSStepScriptResult_DontExecuteTask

else

Main = DTSStepScriptResult_ExecuteTask

end if

end function

Russel Loski, MCSE Business Intelligence, Data Platform

• Thank you so much for the replies. I will try those.

Thanks again

• Hi

I tried both the options, the first one is giving an error when i include the attachment in the xp_sendmail

The second option is giving me the following error.

Error Source = Microsoft VB runtime error

Error Description: object required: 'DTS Global Variable'

Do i need to have any global variables created. Please help

• It should be DTSGlobalVariables.  I am not at my work machine with all of my DTS packages.

function Main()

if DTSGlobalVariables.Parent.Tasks("MyExcelTask").CustomTask.RowsComplete < 20 then

' 20 or some other threshold

else

end if

end function

• are you sure the file to be attached was created?

which is the error??

• Thanks for the quick response. sorry to bother but can you see this code

Function Main()

if DTSGlobalVariables.Parent.Tasks("DTSStep_DTSDataPumpTask_2").CustomTask.RowsComplete < 20 then

' 1 or some other threshold

else

end if

end function

is the datapump task name correct. or will it be different. I opened the transform data task that is connecting the server to the excel and unser workflowproperties -> options->name (Got this name)

Please let me know. I am getting the error that the DTSStep_DTSDataPumpTask_2 is not found

Thanks a lot for your help

• yes the file to be attached is present.

This is the code i am using

EXEC master.dbo.xp_sendmail @recipients = 'xxx@xxx.com',

@subject = 'Error Report',

@message = 'Please check the Errors in the report',

@attachments = C:\Documents and Settings\Desktop\test.xls'

when i execute just the first part with out attachments i am getting the email. but when i include attachment its giving me an error : xp_sendmail: failed with mail error 0x80004005

Thanks for your reply.

• Be sure to get the name of the task not the step.  They are different.  "DTSStep_DTSDataPumpTask_2"  looks like a default step name not a task name.

You can get the TaskName from the disconnected properties Step record (it is just off the screen in the step properties).

• the step executed successfully. The name should be DTStask_DTSDataPumpTask_2. Thanks a lot for your help.

• Hi Luciano,

The other solution worked but just curios to know as to why the xpsend_mail errored out when i run with attachments? any idea. Did i mention anything wrong in the query. Thanks

• Hi sorry to get back again. but i see a problem here. In my dts package i have few other steps that needs to be performed after i send the email. What i am doing is pulling the records from a csv file to a sql table and validating those records. if that table has got errors it would dump those errors into the excel and then i have a send mail task that sends an email. later i have to pull all the correct records into another table. The problem is the active x script is failing the whole package. is there any way that it doesnt run the next steps when there are no errored records.

Please help

• it works without the attachment?

• i've found this about that error

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555180/en-us

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply