Active threads ....could be better

• Not sure if this is the correct forum.....??

Am I the only one experiencing a slow response when going to "Active threads" that defaults to "Unread posts"?  am using Chrome on a fast connection.  In general it takes 3-4 secs to load / reload the page.
    I have tried various combos of settings to only see last number of days.....but this doesnt appear to persist  ??

Also....with all the white space between each post...is there not a way that more details can be provided...such as name of poster, date of original post, and in what forum?  I dont really want to have to hover over an avatar to see name of poster, neither do I wish to open the post to see when it started.   

iirc... in previous version, we could see when reviewing a post, if the OP was on line....seems to be now that we get "last active".

thoughts?

• the load/reload more has to do with the processing of the page. There's more jquery and other client side stuff that just takes time.

In terms of adding info, we've issued some Pull Requests to the vendor to make some changes. We could do them, but then that means that any upgrades or security patches break things. Which is constant, ongoing work. I'm hoping they'll respond and implement a few of the things we've asked for.

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor - Sunday, February 19, 2017 8:46 AM

the load/reload more has to do with the processing of the page. There's more jquery and other client side stuff that just takes time.

In terms of adding info, we've issued some Pull Requests to the vendor to make some changes. We could do them, but then that means that any upgrades or security patches break things. Which is constant, ongoing work. I'm hoping they'll respond and implement a few of the things we've asked for.

Thanks for the feedback...hopefully the vendor will make the changes....

• hmmmm

after 4½ years it seems to take even longer now !

• That's not a good bug report. What's longer?

I've checked this a few times lately and it's about 7-8s at different times of the day.

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor wrote:

That's not a good bug report. What's longer?

I've checked this a few times lately and it's about 7-8s at different times of the day.

I know its not a good bug report...but hey the OP was a few years back.

So lets move it on a bit....I think that 7-8secs for a load/refresh is far too slow....have you any plans to improve this please?

• I don't have plans, and I'm not sure for this scenario that the time is too long. This is gathering a lot of data for recent postings, which is a bit slow, relatively. We used to cache this, but that causes other issues. Running this often uses a lot of resources, so it's a tricky balance to decide what to do here. I suppose a lower cache might help, but finding a number there is very hard, given the nature of traffic over the course of a day.

The goal of this page is to help question answerers find posts that recently appeared. It isn't necessarily a view of activity that people asking questions use.

What I might think about changing here is having all clicks of threads pop in a new window/tab, so this view remains open. Personally I'd set the click on the title to go to the last page of the topic, not the first, but that's me.

Welcome to other suggestions or debate on what you want to see. Querying this view over and over wasn't the intention of this design.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply