Active- Passive Cluster to Active- Active Cluster

• DearAll,

We have one active- passive cluster configuration and I like to change this active- passive cluster to Active – Active cluster.

Pls Suggest how can I change the active-passive cluster to active – active cluster.

Waiting for your reply

Mathew

• If you are talking about a SQL Server cluster, there is no true active-active cluster.  You can use two servers and setup:

active-passive

passive-active

as your instances.  This will, in effect, be a SQL Server active/active cluster.  Through segregation of you data, you can achieve a robust system that balances across n-servers this way.  It takes a good deal of design and architecture to achieve.

If you're talking about another type of cluster, then you are probably in the wrong forum.

Derrick Leggett
    Mean Old DBA
    When life gives you a lemon, fire the DBA.

• Dear All,

I am taking about SQL Server Clustering.

We configured windows cluster with active – passive and sql server installed in the storage. This time users are connect to the only one node.

I need to make the user to connect from sql server from 2 cluser nodes to reduce the workload of one server and use 2 server hardware perfectly.

I read the active the article that there is no configuration for sql server ro change to active- active, but and “only move the group “ in cluster.

Still I did not get the idea , “Move the Cluster Group”

Pls advice me how I can change the active – passive SQL Server clustered to Active – Active Cluster.

Regards

Mathew

• you need to set up the disk volumes for the other instance and run SQL 2000 Ent set up again to create a new instance. Then transfer any DB's you want to the new instance.

• I need to use same database from 2 different nodes of cluster. It is same database and same users in both nodes of cluster.

Two clutser nodes access same database same time. If fail over happen user of node will move to another node.

Pls advice me how can i configure like this way

Mathew

• SQL ain't Oracle. With SQL you get "shared nothing". A cluster resource, such as a SQL instance and the databases on that instance, are owned by this node or that node but only by one node at a time.

• Here's a decent article to start with understanding the architecture of Windows-SQL Server clustering:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/sql/2000/maintain/failclus.mspx

There's plenty more docs and whitepapers on Microsoft's site.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply