Account gets locked out

• Hi all,

I am facing a very strange problem that I have a user who uses Arc Catalog and Arc Map to connect to SQL server using ArcSDE service.

The user connects with a SQL login to a SQL server database.

The problem is that after some time, the user account gets locked out !!!

I checked the error logs and it is "Error: 18456, Severity: 14, State: 8."

I checked the activity monitor and saw some inactive transactions.

Every time I unlock the account, after 3 or 4 times the account gets locked out

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

\\K

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    HTH !
    Kin
    MCTS : 2005, 2008
    Active SQL Server Community Contributor 🙂

• Hmm try this.

Next time the account is locked out, open the login properties and uncheck "Enforce password policy".

Then "ok" that. Then go back into the login properties and uncheck "Login is locked out". Then "ok" that again.

Then go back into the login a third time and check "Enforce password policy" again.

• Is it an NT account? Have you checked for the conflicker worm? If not, do they have fat fingers? 🙂

• State 8 means a bad password is being used... see the following http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms366351.aspx

Recheck that the proper credentials are being passed. Check a trace to see where the bad passwords are coming from. Did you just modify the password? There is probably a service out there still using the old password and as it's tries to authenticate it's locking out the login.

-Luke.

To help us help you read this[/url]For better help with performance problems please read this[/url]

• Andy Hogg (6/19/2009)

Hmm try this.

Next time the account is locked out, open the login properties and uncheck "Enforce password policy".

Then "ok" that. Then go back into the login properties and uncheck "Login is locked out". Then "ok" that again.

Then go back into the login a third time and check "Enforce password policy" again.

Hi,

I have already enforced password policy, but the problem is that even after enforcing the password policy, the user is able to connect to the database, but after some time the account is locked.

I dont know but is sure that the ESRI application is causing the problem.

State 8 means a bad password is being used... see the following http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms366351.aspx

Recheck that the proper credentials are being passed. Check a trace to see where the bad passwords are coming from. Did you just modify the password? There is probably a service out there still using the old password and as it's tries to authenticate it's locking out the login.

-Luke.

Can you tell me how to trace, I mean which counters should I enable to trace in the Profiler tool.

Thanks,

\\K

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    HTH !
    Kin

• Trace the login event, Likely you will track down which application/machine is submitting the wrong credentials.

• What I was getting at, is that sometimes the account lockout in 2005 seems to be a bit buggy.

I tend to see that if an account becomes locked out, just unlocking the account leads to it becoming locked again as soon as I unlock it and click "ok".

(And this isn't due to a user or service somewhere out there continuing to try to connect with the wrong password).

When I've seen this, and I've followed the route I described in my post above, this seems to resolve the issue.

Your issue sounded a bit like mine, but I was assuming that you were already happy that no-one was trying to connect using an incorrect password. If you're not satisfied that this is the case then yes, you need to track down where the bad login is originating from.

Good luck in getting this sorted.

• I had the same problem few days ago. In my case, I had logged into about 2 remote desktops different servers A and B, didnt log off from those machines. After few days, when my password had expired(We expire password every n number of days) and I had changed my password, I was able to go into Machine C but was getting locked out every 5 minutes.

Network guy saw my sessions were still active in A and B machines(with old password) so after kicking me off from A and B, the Locking out problem was resolved. Also, if ur SQL agent is using your account with old password, then it will be good to change those too(With saved password).

• Adam Bean (6/19/2009)

Is it an NT account? Have you checked for the conflicker worm? If not, do they have fat fingers? 🙂

Hi,

It is a SQL user account. I have no idea about "conflicker Worm". can you give more detail as how it can affect SQL server.

Thanks,

\\K

HTH !
    Kin

• There's this guy who got hit by this virus and solution how they had handled this problem from SQLServercentral.com

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic721203-146-3.aspx

• HI All,

I appreciate all your efforts. The problem is resolved as I granted Windows authentication to the user.

Thanks for all your effort,

\\K 🙂

PS: Steve this is the best site where people are eager to help each other without any rewards or expectation in return. Thanks for maintaining such a good site. 🙂

HTH !
    Kin

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply