''Accidentally'' upgraded my dev instance to 2005

• Oops!  Downloaded the September CTP and installed it, not realising that it would upgrade my exisiting instance of 2000.  Fortunately just a development version.  Actually I really like the new interface... but has anyone any idea how I could get back to 2000?

Not a disaster if I can't except that I cannot get Analysis Services up and running.  Something about upgrade rules (didn't work properly in 2000 either), which is a pain, since cubes is what we're now after.

jc

• Hi JC,

You could try the following:

1. Install a new instance of SQL Server 2000 (or install it on another machine).
    2. Use the Copy Database Wizard to transfer the objects and data to a new database. 
    3. Test to make sure all objects have been successfully copied.
    4. Detach your new database file and copy it to a safe place.
    5. Unistall SQL Server 2005 (and the new instance if you wish).
    6. Install SQL Server 2000 as the default instance (or the instance name that you are using)
    7. Move the 2000 database into your data folder (normally /Program Files/Microsoft SQL Server/MSSQL/Data)
    8. Attach the database file.

You don't need to worry about the log file as this will be recreated when the file is attached.

-Ed

• Hi Ed

Bingo !  This is what I did:

Installed a new instance of 2000 from the original CD.

Installed SP3a for both the server and Analysis Services from that CD (tried downloading SP4 from MSDN but their download speeds are shot - 3 hours plus!).

Restored a backup of the databases (NB got the most critical one up fine, but two others won't restore - 'too many devices', which I think is due to the fact that I created the backup from 2005 - so I'll have a crack at that once my nerves are restored).

Successfully launched 2000 Analysis Services and have made it through the tutorial as far as browsing my new cube.

Will give feedback on the 2005 re-install later.  I think I'd better read up on backup strategy first however!

Cheers

jc

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply