Accidentally Overwrote Stored Procedure

• I was working in the "Modify" script of a stored procedure just now. I accidentally selected only a small part of the code of the script, then ran it as a test, and in the process overwrote the rest of the procedure with only the selected code I had just run. I'm not the one who created this procedure, so I have no idea what went into it or how to recreate it; all I know is that it was a long, complicated procedure that I need to get back as soon as possible.

Can anyone explain to me how I might do this? This is urgent! I'm working on a consultancy and I will probably be let go if I can't rectify this in the next 24 hours.

Thank you.

• deekadelic (10/5/2016)

I was working in the "Modify" script of a stored procedure just now. I accidentally selected only a small part of the code of the script, then ran it as a test, and in the process overwrote the rest of the procedure with only the selected code I had just run. I'm not the one who created this procedure, so I have no idea what went into it or how to recreate it; all I know is that it was a long, complicated procedure that I need to get back as soon as possible.

Can anyone explain to me how I might do this? This is urgent! I'm working on a consultancy and I will probably be let go if I can't rectify this in the next 24 hours.

Thank you.

Restore a backup of the database into a test environment and get it from there.

Retrieve a copy from source control.

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• If you haven't closed the window, use Ctrl+Z until you undo all changes. Then run the code to restore the procedure to its original code.

If not, follow Phil's advices. Good luck.

Luis C.
    General Disclaimer:
    Are you seriously taking the advice and code from someone from the internet without testing it? Do you at least understand it? Or can it easily kill your server?

How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help: Option 1 / Option 2
  • Surely this procedure exists elsewhere. Here are a few places to look:

- Source code control

- Database backups

- Local copies of this database on developers' computers

- Copies of this database on other test or development servers

- Deployment scripts or dacpac files that were originally used to deploy the database

- The production database

Most development environments will have one of these, but if you're not familiar with the environment, you probably have to ask.

If the environment you are working in has none of the above, they have bigger issues than a mangled stored procedure.

• Luis Cazares (10/5/2016)

If you haven't closed the window, use Ctrl+Z until you undo all changes. Then run the code to restore the procedure to its original code.

If not, follow Phil's advices. Good luck.

Hmm, good point. If you have Redgate SQL Prompt or SSMSBoost installed, there are additional recovery options too.

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• So if I'm understanding you correctly, I should restore the DB to a test location, that way I can pick the code for the one procedure in question, recreate it in the live database, and then not have to worry about losing any data that was loaded since the date of the backup?

Also, is it possible to restore only the procedure in question, or only the full set of stored procedures for the database; or must we restore the entire database?

• Since I'm not the administrator of the database, I don't know what additional tools have been installed. How can I determine whether or not I have Redgate SQL Prompt or SSMSBoost?

• deekadelic (10/5/2016)

Since I'm not the administrator of the database, I don't know what additional tools have been installed. How can I determine whether or not I have Redgate SQL Prompt or SSMSBoost?

Those are client tools, so you should have them on your computer.

Changing that procedure shouldn't be something bad if it was done on a development/test server, just approach your DBA. If it was on a production server, approach a DBA immediately.

Through native tools, you need to restore the whole database (should be done as a different db). Though third party tools, you could be able to restore a single object.

Luis C.
    General Disclaimer:
    Are you seriously taking the advice and code from someone from the internet without testing it? Do you at least understand it? Or can it easily kill your server?

How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help: Option 1 / Option 2
  • I think I will request the DB restore to a test server. That seems like the "easiest" thing to do.

Thanks, everybody, for the quick and thoughtful responses.

• Before going through the time and trouble of restoring the database just for a single object, the following is worth a shot. What will do is search for any prior versions of the stored procedure in the plan cache.

SELECT st.text

FROM sys.dm_exec_procedure_stats AS d

outer apply sys.dm_exec_sql_text (d.sql_handle) as st

where st.[text] LIKE '%CREATE PROCEDURE%MyProcName%';

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

• As it happens, I just got the restore this morning; so even if it wasn't the most efficient, server-load-friendly solution, it did do the trick.

However, I am going to keep that code you gave me, in case this happens again.

Thanks!

PS- I'm not sure how to mark this thread as resolved.

• deekadelic (10/19/2016)

As it happens, I just got the restore this morning; so even if it wasn't the most efficient, server-load-friendly solution, it did do the trick.

However, I am going to keep that code you gave me, in case this happens again.

Thanks!

PS- I'm not sure how to mark this thread as resolved.

You don't, except perhaps by saying it work and thanking those that helped (just like you did).

Others may come by later and offer other suggestions, that is the nature of ssc.

• Noted, for future threads.

Thanks again

• It's good that you have database backups. However, you also need to script out your database and maintain it a version control system. In addition to recovery of objects, it's also useful for change history documentation and version comparison.

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

• Also, you aren't really doing work on a production system, are you??

Michael L John
    If you assassinate a DBA, would you pull a trigger?
    To properly post on a forum:
    http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/61537/

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply